Part II: The Countess

Countess Dracula had never wanted to go to the party. Much as she liked to meet new people, something felt off about the invitation. But when her husband set his mind to something, there was no dissuading him. It was like that time he tried to drink Queen Victoria's blood all over again.

From the moment they arrived at the mansion, her feeling of unease only increased. Electric lighting, still a novelty back in London, was plentiful, and the harsh light hurt her sensitive eyes. When they were introduced to the strange collection of guests, the danger felt so great that her chest would have been pounding, if only her heart could still beat.

As in her mortal life she calmed herself by writing. She had almost got over her worry when the butler revealed the true purpose of the gathering, and everything fell apart.

In the darkness immediately following the lightning strike, there was a scream. Even her heightened senses could barely see the shapes of people shuffling around and falling over. Someone knocked against her, and she heard glass break.

After a few more seconds that seemed to last an eternity, the lights flickered back on, revealing a dining room in complete disarray. Chairs were tipped over, plates smashed, and food trampled into the floor. She also noticed right away that there were only seven people in the room.

"Well, that was fun," Ernie said. She saw that he was holding a metal candlestick and a fork as if he thought that would protect him. "Everyone okay?"

"No. Someone is missing," the Countess said.

They all looked around.

"The butler!" Dr. West exclaimed.

"He must have–" Ernie started to say, but a loud thump at the door cut him off.

Dr. West jumped in fright and the Princess Langwidere gave a tiny shriek. "This is all too much!" she said, sounding on the verge of tears.

"Who wants to investigate?" asked Captain Silver.

No one replied.

"You're all a bunch of cowardly lubbers! I'll go take a gander."

The pirate hopped over to the door. He opened it and then quickly stepped back. A body fell face first onto the floor. The butler.

The Princess started to wobble and Ernie put an arm around her.

"Don't faint on us, Princess."

"Unhand me, you brute," she snapped.

He did as she asked. The Countess turned her attention back to the body, which Silver was peering down at, bending as far as his crutch would allow him.

The captain scratched his chin. "Well, he's dead."

"Of course he's dead, you fool," said Dr. West. "I can tell from here."

"And, there are bloody teeth marks on his neck."

All eyes turned to Count Dracula.

"Why are you all looking at me?" he asked. "Those could be anyone's teeth marks! I mean, he's not even my blood type."

The accusing stares did not relent at his protests. The Countess knew his words were true—she had smelt the butler's AB blood the moment they arrived at the house—but she could understand their suspicion.

"Well, at least we know one thing," Ernie said. "The butler didn't do it this time."

"Yes, but the Count clearly did," added Dr. West.

Morgan le Fay pointed a finger at Dracula. "I concur with thee. This archfiend cannot control his hunger!"

"What about the pirate?" said Dracula. "He was very eager to open that door. If anyone should be accused, it is him!"