Prologue

I started to realise I had a gift when I was about five years old. I used to get premonitions but of course, at five years old, I didn't always realise what it all meant. It sounds cool but trust me, they're actually really annoying. My premonitions come in flashes, like puzzle pieces that seem to have no connection at all. What would be helpful is a large banner-like warning over my head like DO NOT GO TO THE FIELD BEYOND THE HOUSE, YOU WILL BE IN GRAVE DANGER. 

What I *do* get, is images. If we take the hypothetical field as an example, I would typically see blades of grass, a flower, and a sky.  Yup, makes total sense. Couple that with a sense of dread that lodges itself in the pit of your stomach like a living thing and you start to get an idea of why I wasn't always fond of my ... abilities.

That day started with the "dread dragon" unfurling itself in my stomach. I got up with a feeling that I had to warn someone, quick, but without any clue where I had to direct that anxiety. A bit later, the images came. Flames, asphalt of a road, a crowd of people. Not much to go on. As the feeling grew, the same images repeated themselves over and over, as if to press me to action. Then I saw what I thought was a  name tag: Kelly Johnson.

One Google search later I had learned that Kelly Johnson was an engineer who had passed away in 1990 so it wasn't him I had to warn. Frustration grew, and my clicks through the search results grew more and more erratic. Then I finally found something that was hopefully helpful: a street had been named in his honour, near Los Angeles in a place called Santa Clarita. I made up my mind, grabbed my keys, and set out to look for clues.

A short hop later I parked and got out, seeing what appeared to be a largely abandoned industrial site. Hypercell corporation was emblazoned on the building nearest to me. The smell hit me like a hammer, immediately making me light headed. Burning rubber, or plastic, something that reeked and automatically made me squeeze my nose. Looking around I saw a thick black smoke and I started running up what turned out to be a small, steep incline. Then I stood on the asphalt, and the puzzle pieces suddenly made sense. What had once been a red car was draped around a tree, on fire. The "dread dragon" gave a particularly loud roar and I sped towards it, praying harder than I ever had that I was wrong. But of course, I wasn't. There were people in that car.

"Oh no ..."