23

It had all been too much. Beau was too preoccupied and after his mind cleared and he was able to put two thoughts together that weren't about Five, that worry set in. Because one of the people he loved most was being manipulated once again, for what reason, Beau was sure he could figure that out in no time but her wellbeing was more important instead of the man's motives. Or was his motives and her wellbeing one and the same? Did they coalesce in some way where he was using her for his own gain? The man lacked self-confidence, that much was clear, he subconsciously made himself smaller in the eyes of the Hargreeves but especially Beau. Which meant he felt inferior in his presence and, of course, that must have something to do with his power.

Beau knew something inside Vanya had been suppressed all her life, he could feel it and that obviously meant Reginald Hargreeves had known it too.

But Rosie was always thinking about Beau more than anything else and her worry for him still remained above all. Five had been anxious around Rosie, something which the couple found very amusing considering the man turned boy was an exceptional hitman but there was no judgement when faced with her kind smile. Rosie was accepting which was obvious for Beau after he had finally realised she knew all along and even if he hated how cryptic she was he still understood. And after she told Five, 'I see the way you look at him and I see the way he acts. You both deserve happiness and I think you two could give each other exactly that.' He was visibly relieved to know there was no betrayal or ill will towards anyone and it had definitely surprised Five to hear that.

Though feelings weren't what was important and instead of the safety of one woman that didn't see the red flags in a man she thought she liked was.

Five knocked on the door of Klaus, Beau standing behind him with Rosie close by with a grin that never seemed to dim plastered over her beautiful features. "Hey." Five greeted his brother who laid carelessly across his bed, "Get up. We're going." 

"Where?" Klaus grumbled, his movements slow and sluggish.

"To save the world."

"Oh, is that all? Great."

Rosie took Klaus' side, noticing the pain he was giving off and took one of his arms to keep him steady. It seemed he was taking his sobriety seriously and Beau knew he would need to tell him he was proud of him when he got the chance.

"So, Pogo said Dad killed himself to get us all back together, right?" Five questioned his brother, arm brushing against Beau's as they wandered down the hallway at a snail pace.

"Yeah, so?"

"So it got me thinking. I had to jump to the future to figure out when it happened, but Dad, he can't time travel. So how'd the crazy bastard actually know to kill himself a week before the end of the world?"

"Well, you know..."

"Don't answer." Five interrupted causing both Klaus and Beau to glare half-heartedly his way, "That was purely rhetorical. Truth is, our whole lives, he's been telling us we'd save the world from an impending apocalypse."

"Yeah, but I always thought he just said that to scare us into doing the dishes." Klaus chuckled.

"Funny, he always told me I would have to choose sides," Beau spoke casually, frowning as he thought back on his interactions with Reginald and how adamant he had been in preparing him for what was to come. If only he had known that something would be the end of the world as they knew it.

Five turned to him in concerned confusion, "What do you mean?"

Beau shrugged, "He just used to say when it came down to it I would either lose control or be there to save the world and that was why I would need something to tether me to reality." It made a lot of sense after he had time to think about it and that was why he wondered all along if he himself was the one to actually cause the apocalypse, Five wouldn't allow him to think like that.