Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Jude turned to me as I was getting in the car. "I thought I was going to have to sit here longer, pretty girl." He smiled, though it wasn't the normal, bright smile I was used to. It was heavy with worry and tiredness.

He was right, normally he would have. "Not today. I slept well; even mom and dad looked surprised to see me up so early." When I could sleep, I slept like a baby. "You look tired though."

Shooting me a quick glance, he smirked. "I'm not surprised after last night."

My eyes snapped to his. "What are you talking about?"

Keeping his eyes firmly on the line of cars ahead of us, he shrugged. "I figured you had a good night with Vermont and then I heard all about it."

He heard all about it? What the hell did he mean by that? Then I remembered what Mason had said when he was telling me that Jude had told him about the kiss. "If this is some kind of male ego war between you two you can keep me out of it. Thanks to you and your big mouth, Mason was more than mad at me when you told him about us. I can't believe you were talking about me behind my back again." I couldn't stop my voice raising. How dare they use me to get at each other?

He reached over and grabbed my hand, "Hey, it was nothing like that Harper, trust me." His panicked gaze kept flickering back and forth between me and the road. "He told me you guys were making a go of things and that I've got to back away from you, that's all."

Oh.

As stupid as I felt, it wasn't a surprise that I had jumped to conclusions. After all, I was used to them acting like jerks when it came to their stupid hate for each other and neither thought twice about bringing me into the middle of things either.

"You're not going to listen to him, are you?"

Placing his hand back on the wheel, his lips curved into a smirk. "Does it look like I listened to him?" A low chuckle rumbled in his throat, before a brief frown graced his lips. "Listen, what I said to him about us, I shouldn't have done that." His fingers taped the wheel nervously. "He said stupid stuff about my mom and you were the only thing I had that would hurt him enough. It was a lame thing to do, and I'm sorry pretty girl."

I didn't like being used to win an argument or some stupid point scoring game, but I knew Mason. There was a reason he had his reputation in school and with his pack and he certainly didn't get it by being Mr Nice Guy.

"I get that Jude, but don't ever use me to get at him again. I know you guys hate each other for whatever reason, but you're my friend and that's not the kind of things friends do to each other."

Pulling up in our usual space, Jude killed the engine and turned in his seat to face me. "I really am sorry, Rainie. I'm a complete idiot," He placed his hands over his heart, "Please forgive me, pretty girl."

I stifled a smile, "You are an idiot."

"A huge freaking idiot."

"The most idiotic person in the world."

He laughed, "No, I think your boyfriend's still got that over me." Playfully nudging my side, he winked.

I gaped at him. There was nothing playful about the punch that I aimed at his arm a second later, "Mason is not my boyfriend." I said and then lightly punched him again just for good measure.

Holding his hands up, his head fell back and laughter filled the car. "I kind of feel sorry for the guy," He managed to get out as he tried to calm himself down.

My brows pulled together. "Why?"

"Because you hit like a dude." He said, before dissolving into laughter once more. Growling at him, I jumped out of the car and slammed the door shut.