Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

My arms, outstretched with an egg ready to be cracked in my hands, paused over the frying pan. I hadn't even thought about him. God, I was a bad friend. Quickly breaking the egg and hearing the delicious sizzle, I ran out and up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

I hadn't spoken to Jude since he stopped the fight between Mason and Jeremy and I had no idea how his mom was. Grabbing my phone from the side table, I text him asking if he was coming to school.

My wolf felt the same worry for him as I felt which was surprising. I was used to her growling or snapping at me for even thinking about him, but I guess lately she had become more... comfortable with him. It was truly a relief, Jude was my friend and I didn't want to stop seeing him because she unhappy about it.

The bleeping sound carried my attention back to my phone and I let out a sigh of relief when I saw his name. At least that meant he was okay.

Yeah, so you're lazy butt best be up and ready pretty girl. J

I rolled my eyes at his text, but smiled anyway. That's right, in the end Mason got his way and ever since that first day Jude turned up to take me to school, he had picked me up every morning. I acted like a silly, moody child who had her candy taken away from her for the first few days, but I actually didn't mind it too much and I really enjoyed spending some time with Jude before we entered the craziness that was our school.

Finishing off my breakfast, I was only short of licking the plate. I could cook the hell out of scrambled eggs, even if I did say so myself. Pouring a hot cup of coffee, I set it down besides my mom and kissed the side of her head. "Thanks dear," She smiled. "Make sure you wear something warm, Rainie. The weather's taking a turn for the worse and don't forget tonight we are having dinner with our guests, so don't be late." She looked up at me and quirked her brow.

I nodded, "I'm going to Bella's after school, but I'll make sure I'm home in time." Over my scrumptious breakfast, I decided I was going to tell Bella about Mason and I. It was only right, that as my best friend, she should know first. Of course that meant I would have to tell her about everything else as well, like the kiss with Jude, but for now, the whole mate thing was enough for one day. "Who's coming for dinner?" I asked, realizing I had no idea who it was.

"Alpha Vermont, his wife and their son." My heart did a bungee-jump in my chest. My mother, oblivious to my sudden panic attack, beamed a smile; obviously very proud to have the Alpha and his family of another pack in her house. "Alpha Hudson and Delilah are also coming." She added and just as I was about to open my mouth, she cut me off and smiled. "Nicky too of course."

Okay, so I wasn't entirely being thrown head first into the lion's den, at least I would have Nicky there. "Dinner's at seven." She called, just as I had left the room.

I had no idea why, of all the people that could have dinner with us, it had to be Mason and his family. I could maybe understand our Alpha coming, but the Alpha from another pack? It just didn't make sense. I wasn't even sure if Mason knew he was coming. He would have said something if he did, right?

Stepping outside the cold nipped at my warm skin. My mom was right, the temperature had definitely fallen. The coldness didn't bother me as much as it would normal people, but the rain was another thing. Dropping my bag, I slipped my arms through one of the most comfortable and warmest sweaters I owned and wrapped a scarf around my neck. The sky was heavy with thick grey and black clouds that screamed downpour and the air felt more like a winter morning. I just hoped Jude wouldn't be too late.

Moments later my wish was granted and pulling up outside my house was Jude in his Toyota pickup. From a distance he looked like he normally did, light brown hair falling into his eyes and slightly down the nape of his neck. His arms were folded across his chest as he leaned his head back with his eyes closed. From this far away he looked like your normal teenage guy, not someone hiding secrets, having to tend to his beaten mother every day and going home to a place where he was hated.