8

Edward's POV -
We arrive at school early, but not incredibly early. We have about 20 minutes until our first lesson. It'll be boring without Adrienne, but hunting takes priority over school, so I'll just have to listen to other people's thoughts for entertainment. Sometimes there funny, and so I tune into them, but mostly it's just like loads of people talking all at once. I'll try and let the music drown them out, but it will be hard.
"Why did your sister smell like a perfume shop this morning?" I ask the boy standing next to me.
"I told her you were collecting me."
"And that made her put on what seemed to be a bottle and a half of perfume?"
"Apparently."
"Rosalie has never done that. Or Alice. Or Adrienne."
"Yeah, but they all can rely on their looks. It seems Isabella can not."
"Fair point."
"Is Adrienne okay, by the way? She texted me saying she was fine, but people lie over text."
"She'll be fine. Carlisle's forcing her to stay at home. She's not happy about it. If she got her way, she would be here."
"Good. Also, I know this is a personal question, and you don't have to answer it, but how long have you known Carlisle?"
"Most of my life, why?"
"You call him Carlisle rather than dad, or some other variation. It's not just you, your siblings do it as well."
"He's our father figure, just as Esme is our mother figure. They've just never asked to be 'mum and dad' or anything, so they've always just been Carlisle and Esme."
We made more conversation after that, before the bell rang, signifying for us to get to class. We walked there together, before we had to split off into our different buildings.