Chapter 22

The last night of summer finally came, and although I was sad that it was over, I was looking forward to another year at the Interstellar Academy.

Jim and I were getting ready for the final show. I was wearing a short, ruffled, royal blue dress with no sleeves. I would have worn my sparkly dark blue one, but it had disappeared along with Alex's pirate ship. I had on silver heels and my crescent moon earrings. My hair was in a high, curly ponytail and I had on my purple eye shadow. My silver locket was in its usual place around my neck. After taking one last glance in the mirror, I determined that I was ready to go. I went to check on Jim in his room and found him looking in the mirror, adjusting his outfit. He was wearing his Academy uniform, since it was the most formal thing he owned at the moment. He had gotten his hair cut, so his rat-tail was gone and his bangs were short once again. He looked so handsome.

He noticed me looking at him and smiled at me. I smiled back and walked into the room to stand beside him. I stared at the two of us in the mirror.

Jim looked nervous, and I knew what was on his mind.

"Don't worry, you'll do great," I said, giving his arm a squeeze. He smiled and offered me his hand. Giggling, I did a small curtsy and took it. We walked out of the room down to the restaurant.

When we appeared at the bottom of the stairs, Mrs. Hawkins saw us and got onto the stage.

"Good evening everyone! Welcome to the BenBow Inn's End of Summer Celebration!" she announced into the microphone. "Singing for the last time this summer before returning to the Interstellar Academy is Raphaelle!"

Everyone clapped as I took the stage.

"Hello everybody! Thank you so much for coming! Tonight we're gonna have a great show! The first song I'll be singing tonight is very special to me. It's one I've been singing my whole life. I haven't performed it here before, but I did once sing it in the presence of someone very special to me," I said, looking at Jim.

The piano started to play, and when I heard my cue I began to sing.

Look at this stuff

Isn't it neat?

Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?

Wouldn't you think I'm the girl

The girl who has everything?

Look at this trove

Treasures untold

How many wonders can one cavern hold?

Lookin' around here you think

Sure, she's got everything

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty

I've got who-zits and what-zits galore

You want thing-a-ma-bobs?

I've got twenty!

But who cares?

No big deal

I want more

I wanna be where the people are

I wanna see, wanna see 'em dancin'

Walking around on those - what do you call 'em?

Oh - feet!

Flippin' your fins, you don't get too far

Legs are required for jumpin', dancin'