Chapter 2

All I knew was pain. I felt like my head was going to explode. It was as if something was being ripped from my mind. And I was helpless to stop it.

After what felt like forever, the pain finally started to subside, but it wasn't fully gone. I could faintly hear someone talking to me, but I couldn't respond. I vaguely registered that I was being picked up and carried somewhere. A voice was whispering something to me, but I couldn't tell what they were saying. I felt the warmth of their body and instinctively curled closer to them. I was too exhausted to stay awake any longer and embraced sleep when it finally came.

 I was too exhausted to stay awake any longer and embraced sleep when it finally came

                                                                  ***

When I opened my eyes, I found myself in an unfamiliar room. I slowly lifted myself from the bed and took in my surroundings. The room was sparsely furnished, with a dresser, a mirror, a nightstand, the bed, and a painting of a flower hanging on the wall. Where am I?

Before I could ponder on it for much longer, a woman opened the door and poked her head into the room before entering completely. She looked about middle-aged; in her late thirties or early forties. She had brown hair tied into a low, messy ponytail, and a bonnet covered her head. She wore a simple brown and beige dress with a white apron. Adorning her neck was a simple oval-shaped locket. She had a sweet smile on her face which I could only describe as motherly, though I had never seen such a look directed at me before. I found myself returning the smile.

"I see you're finally awake. How are you feeling?" she asked, bringing over a plate of hot food and setting it down on the nightstand next to the bed.

"Fine, thank you. Where am I?" I asked.

"You're at the BenBow Inn. My name is Sarah Hawkins. My son found you last night unconscious on the side of the road," she explained, placing the tray of food in front of me on the bed. "Do you remember how you got there?"

Sarah Hawkins! As in from Treasure Planet! Did my wish come true? I thought. I didn't answer her question right away because the information was still sinking in, but I quickly regained my composure.

"Umm, I can't remember what happened last night. The last thing I remember was being in my room, then there was a blinding light and I heard an explosion. Then I woke up here," I explained.

"Would you like me to contact your parents?" Mrs. Hawkins asked.

I looked away and sighed before answering.

"I don't have any parents. I'm an orphan," I explained.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Mrs. Hawkins answered, her eyes shining with pity.

"It's alright. I guess I should probably get going. Don't want to overstay my welcome. Plus I need to find a job and get a place to-" I began, but was cut off by Mrs. Hawkins.

"No, its fine. You can stay here for a while until you get a job. And there really isn't a rush, your welcome to stay here. Why don't you get all cleaned up while I find you something to wear? There's a shower through that door to your left. I'll leave your clothes on the bed for you," she said.

She was halfway out the door before she stopped and turned back around.

"I'm sorry, I don't believe I caught your name?" she asked, smiling sweetly.

I smiled back and answered,

"I'm Raphaelle."

***

There will be various pieces of artwork featured in these stories. None of them were made by me. I commissioned many artists over the years to draw selected scenes from my Treasure Planet series. You can find many of them on deviantart.