Apex Part 3

I felt I could take the challenge. Now, the only thing remembered what I was taught and putting what I had learned into action. Thinking about it there are a lot of small hills and mountains around here, I decided that the best way to go about this constantly tested and use the tools so I can get accustomed to it so by the time I reach the mountain I would be well versed. "Oh, and one last thing," the old man said, quickening his feet excitedly as he made his way around his house to a locked door. He unlocked the door and walked in, groaning loudly as he pushed a large object through his door. When the light hit it, I sighed with great relief. A boat! I had forgotten that. My head was all over the place when I left back then.

"You'll need this," he said, grinning as he saw how excited I got. "There was a raging river between us to get to the Purple Mountain."

And the old man had let him know that as short as the distance was, the depth of the water was not to be played with. Unless you were a pretty amazing swimmer, it wouldn't be advised for one to just swim across the water, plus it would help me out to put all my belongings in. Even if I was a skilled swimmer, I had so many things to carry. I would probably drown. I jumped up and down in excitement. This meeting felt fated.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" I screamed.

"Okay young one, just make sure to return it on your way back, this one I still use." He smiled.

On my way back? In my excitement, I didn't think about that. Now I had a sense of guilt. This man was so kind to give all these things to me and he may never get his boat back. Should I say something? I battled with myself. He saw the change in my expression.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I hesitated. "Nothing," I said finally.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I just want to say, thank you so much for being so kind. I wish there was some way I could repay you."

"The best repayment you could give me is your stories when you're back. I'd love to hear what you discovered."

I quickly changed the conversation. "So have you been up there?"

He nodded. "Yes, once. A long time ago."

"Really?!" I asked, hopefully. "And was it as magical as they say it is?"

He thought about it. "Apparently the magic of the mountain has a sense of specialness to it, where you can't force the magic, the magic has to choose to show itself to you."

"Oh," I said. "So does that mean you didn't see anything special?"

"I wouldn't say that. It glowed beautifully in the moonlight like it had its own personal spotlight on a stage and many had come out to see it dance. I don't know if that was magical or not."

I felt a slight tinge of disappointment. Was I being delusional going up there? Did I just buy into a bunch of nonsense? Well, I was cursed. I knew that much. This old man could spot every change in my facial expression, because I didn't even realize my expression changed once again when he asked me. "Okay, what is it?"

I smiled, but it was just a polite one. "I'm just wondering if it'll show its magic to me, that's all."

He looked at my distinguished features and again said nothing about them. He only said. "I believe that this is a part of your destiny."

Wait, why would he assume that? But as soon as he said that, I knew it wasn't a coincidence. Whether he knew anything about me, I took that as a sign that I had nothing to worry about. I never accepted the boat, for the climbing tools were enough. So, I bid him farewell and continued my journey.

The river was going to be a challenge, but I had a feeling I will be fine. That was going to be figured out once I got there.

Even though I was alone, I smiled before I knew I was walking with all my friends and family beside me.