Life Part 2

I allowed my bloated state to pass. They finished eating, and I decided it was time to share my plan with my sister.

"Annie," I said. "About Granny's Diary..."

Her ears perked up as she wiped her mouth clean. "Yes, did you find answers?" Her eyes widened.

"Well, kind of," I responded.

"Kind of?" She asked. "Granny said not exactly, you say kind of. What's in that book?" I could see her trying to fight her frustration and give me the floor to speak. Joel was taking up the plates and bowls.

"Well, the man in there woke up with something similar to what I have and he spoke about the purple mountain," I said.

"What purple mountain?" she asked, her face twisted into an ugly mask.

Joel looked up. I looked at him. "Joel has seen it when we went out hunting, right Joel?"

He nodded, then left with the eating utensils.

"Okay," Annie said in confusion. "What about this purple mountain?"

"Well, it probably has the answers to reverse the curse."

"Really?" She perked up as her eyes widened. "How?"

"I don't know exactly."

"Then how did the guy in the diary reverse the curse?"

"He didn't write anything past day four."

"So, he didn't reverse the curse and died?"

"I don't know."

She looked irritated.

"So, I was thinking." I continued. "That I should go up to the purple mountain and give it a chance."

"No way!" She let out. "You're not leaving my sight."

"But Annie-"

"No, I will not hear it." She turned back to Joel. "Tell him Joel."

Joel had come back into the room. His hands were partially wet, yet some of that moisture brushed away into obscurity. Joel shrugged. "Well, legend does have it that the mountain is pretty magical. I do not know how true it is though, I've never been there and never really bought into the woo."

Joel was actually supporting me in this? That was an unexpected turn. "Besides, it's time he learns to be a man now and men can travel on their own," Joel said.

"What do you mean, man? He's my baby brother. It's not time for him to become a man yet. Besides, I could lose him in the next few days. I don't want to waste another moment being away from him now." The tears were threatening to start again as she glared at Joel.

I went up to her and gave her a hug. She hugged me back so tightly I felt like I was going to suffocate. "Is it day seven yet?" I squeaked.

"What?" she asked with her head on my shoulder.

"I cannot breathe," I gasped.

She loosened her grip immediately and shoved me. "That's not funny." I smiled and gave her a peck on the cheek.

"I wasn't planning on leaving today anyway," I said to her frown.

Her face lightened into a sense of curiosity. "Planning?"

"Come on Annie. I have to try. I don't have enough time to wait until I'm older, anyway. Can't you please hear my plan?" I asked.

She hesitated as she said nothing.

I pressed further, knowing as much as she cared for me, this was my chance to live my life more fully. "Please. This is my only chance. If I fail, fine, I'm still going to die anyway, but there's a chance I couldn't... It's literally now or never... well, not literally. I thought that I would have spent these few days with you and my two friends."

"I don't get a day?" Joel asked.

The question shocked me. "You...you want to spend time with me?"

He gave me a glazed stare even with that rather naughty looking grin. "Well, obviously, but if you don't..."

"No, I'd love to... I just was not sure you cared."

He laughed. "Of course, I care, dummy." Tears which I fought from falling came to the eyes.

I said, "Well, I was planning on starting the trek on the next day..." I looked over at my sister for permission and she eventually nodded. "Thank you." I smiled and looked at Joel.

"That's okay kid, I'll make the trek with you." Joel offered.

"Thanks." I looked at him, genuinely surprised.

He noticed my surprise and I guess it made him uncomfortable, because he averted his eyes and changed the topic. "You know who was asking for you?"

"Who?" I asked.

"Rowan."

"Oh, he's up there." I said excitedly. Then I remembered today was the day I would spend with my sister. "I'll see him tomorrow."

"Oh stop," Annie said. "I'll walk with you there today if you'd like."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, I haven't hung out with Rowan in a while, should be fun."

I giggled. "Can we stop by Bella too? Only to ask them if they want to hang out with me tomorrow."

"Sure, Nils. No problem." She responded.

Annie heated some water on the stove to be used for our bath and we each took turns in the bathroom to get clean and put on our clothing and leather boots.