Apex Part 1

Fear gripped me, but I still got my foot moving and my legs pulling me forward to the destination.

Butterflies flew around me, yet the wind was cruel in brief spurts. The butterfly's fault against the wind as I slow to a stop. My eyes rounded my lush green surroundings. Nothing, I saw not even a building, not even speak of civilization. I was far from home.

Things have been interesting for me walking this far. My legs and with a dull ache, it was bearable for now. Still, I felt anxious the further I walked. I was not sure what the forest held for me and that uncertainty was biting at the confidence in my stride.

My nose crinkled at the sour aroma of the thick, leafy stems. I stepped into the short grass and heard the pingling cracks within the grass's blade, leaving it into crushed shards amongst the soft earth.

I smiled, for there was so much life around me, for the singing cries of birds raised like a crescendo in the underlying fluttering beat of their wings in the trees. A melody sprinkled with the creaks and distant cries of bugs, along with the humming buzz of the forest's darkness, rested low depths in the tall thin plant stems in a field to his right.

I hope it was no monster that lived there. My breath hitched, taking all of this in. Yet, I felt an urging to step forward. The forest's fortress had parted to reveal the flowering shrubs in the distance. The wind passing them by, causing them to shake and scream their hollow complaints. It all added to the wonderful song.

I hoped I had everything I needed. What time would have told me that. I kept my confidence tempered, for I knew I was not in a situation where overconfidence was going to help me. In a way, I wished I had Joel to give me more advice, but I guessed it was best for me to go on my own as I'm.

I remember his words even before the curse. A man must step into the unknown and face it. If you could not, then he was not a man. Hunger right now was clawing at my stomach, but I kept that at bay.

Right now, I had to keep my resolve intact and make sure I never ran out of food. He taught me how to hunt, so I could resort to that method.

It has been a long while since I started walking. I was sure much of the day was gone. When I was close to the foot of the mountain, I cannot be sure. I looked up. It still looked far away. A haggled sigh escaped my frowning lips.

I hoped for a resting spot and it was like the universe heard my prayers; I came across a tiny cottage at the bottom of the hill. As I walked around the house, looking to see if there was any sign of anyone living there, an old man with a chipper attitude just popped up in front of my face, startling me.

He didn't seem to be alarmed by my obviously strange appearance. Though his appearance was weird enough. He had a rather rough looking clothing over his torso. It wasn't pelt or fur, for it seemed more like cuttings of different pelts of animals stitched together. Instead, he greeted me as if he came across strange-looking people every single day.

"Oh! Hello, there young man!" He said with a huge smile. I couldn't help but smile, myself. Still, who was this guy? There was no village around here. Did he really live on his own in this forest?

I never knew something like that was possible, but then again, I wasn't very well versed in these things. If I think about it, it should be possible. I looked up at the old man, relaxing my shoulders to not seem unafraid.

I asked, "Hi, any chance I could rest here for a bit?"

The old man regarded me. "Sure. Are you on your way up to the top of the purple mountain?"

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"Lucky guess."

He led me and I followed him to his hut, which looked like it had been built a long time ago. "How long have you lived here?" I asked.

"Uh." He scratched his balding head. "It's been a while."

"Why did you choose to live here?"

"Great idea." He laughed. "What brings you here?"

"I huh... I just want to see this beautiful view that the world has to offer that people have been telling me about. I'd be disappointed if I didn't get to witness it for myself."

We were both not being very forthcoming with their answers, which set up an understanding between us.

"Ah, a young explorer," he said. "Well, you must be hungry?"

It looked like he needed more help than me. I didn't want to take advantage of him, so I said, "Actually, no." Rummaging through my bag of gifts I had received. "If anything, I might have too much food?" I stated, while looking at him with the question of an offer.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, why not? I'd love to share it."

"Well, thanks." He came over as I laid some of the food he could take. "Would you look at that?" He said, smiling as he took a bite of meat. "What else have you got in that bag?"

"Just some stuff to keep me company on the way."

"Do you have climbing tools?"

"Huh?" I looked at the vast mountain. Wow, I hadn't really thought of that. I really needed tools to help me get up there. Come on! I thought, why didn't I think of that? By the look on my face, the old man spoke next.

"I'm guessing that's a no."

I was irritated with myself. "No," I said under my breath.

"That's okay, young sir, not to fret. Since you've been so kind to me," he said, waving the remainder of meat in the air. "I have something for you. Wait here."

The Last 7 Days of My Life: Nils Stylus Diaryजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें