The Climb Part 3

"How much further?" I asked the wind. I needed a break, so I decided to take a stoop down on the track as I tried to fold my body into itself to get as much warmth as I could radiate for my body to stop vibrating so violently. As my eyes started to close, sleep beckoning, I heard a shuffle in the bushes. What was that? I quickly came to my feet again, being careful not to make a sound. I listened again to see if I could detect how close it was to me. Nothing. Should I move from this place or stay here? I didn't want to move and make a sound in case something would attack me and my instincts were sending warning signals through me, but I certainly didn't want to stay here and wait to be attacked.

I tiptoed away as I kept my ears open for any suspicious movement. When I thought I had moved further enough away, I allowed my heart to settle back into my chest as I relaxed a little more, walking more normally when I heard a sound that spooked the daylight out of me. I didn't recognize that sound. Was it an animal? If it was, I've never heard that animal sound before. I did not know what it was and so my heart spiked its beats as I took off running as far as my feet could carry me. Adrenaline must have been my best friend, because I do not know where I found the strength and why my feet managed to get past those stones with no problems whatsoever, but I did not stop running until I felt cool grass beneath my feet. Maybe it was the welcome change in paths that settled my nerves a bit.

As soon as my feet hit the cool grass, my body relaxed, but in its relaxation, the pain seemed to beat drum rhythms through my feet. They felt like they were on fire all of a sudden. The familiar sound of an owl hooting spooked me momentarily. Because of what I had just experienced before, I laughed at myself for jumping. Probably I was losing it. Maybe I had caught a bit of hysteria, because as I laughed at myself for jumping at the hoot, I also laughed uncontrollably for my stupidity. I laughed so hard at my pain and agony I was close to just erupting from laughing into the ugliest bawling you've ever heard. Why was it so cold?

Yeah, I desperately needed to rest, but I wasn't looking forward to becoming some animal's dinner when it wasn't even day seven yet. So, as I pulled myself up, hating every minute of dragging myself forward, I prayed for daylight to come, so that I could rest myself with the relief of knowing what was around me. The powerful rage of something filled my ears. Another shuffle in the bushes had me quickening my steps forward again.

The mountain path opened up towards me, revealing a larger expanse land of rock. Now, my eyes took in a carved-out building on the huge flattened plateau that dipped into a swift incline where rested a huge section of trees, all coated with white magic.

I had reached a highland with a series of hills. By the time I walked into the center, my eyes caught sight of the raging river in between the neighboring trees. At least I found the source of the mighty noise.

The song was distant thanks to it.

I turned towards the ruins. The cobwebs. I pulled them aside, yet they encased my arms. Inside was dark, the tiles moss green, the moon's glare shined into ruin mixed with various vines stranded in large bunches all over the cracked blocks.

I sat down, rolled the sack off my shoulders, and breathed out. My eyes lowered as my body slipped further into a land of dreams.