5

I look out of the window of the carriage. I look Infront of me and Beth is fascinated by the sights, I wipe her dress. “Look out for creases in your dress, they won't look good on you.” She nods. I continued to fix her dress addressing her the things to look out for. I was by her waist when I notice something. “You're wearing a corset?” I asked.
She looks down, “Nurse told me to put it on, she was acting stranger as ever. And she put it on too tight.” I could see that she was uncomfortable. The carriage halts suddenly and I grab the side of the carriage and the seat next to Beth for support. I look back towards the head of the carriage.
“Sorry Mr. York, horses got a little jumpy.” The coachman declared.
“Fix those horses then, or I will.” I sit up and the carriage continues and I attend my shirt and blouse. “We will sort your corset when we get off of this carriage.” Beth nods and continues to look out the side of the carriage.

“After our outing will Theo come round again?” Beth questions.
“When he can, remember he is working to provide for his family.” I close my side of the blind. The sun was annoying me.
“Why can’t he work for us? Then he would be able to be with us forever.” I think it over, I would be able to see him more.
“We would have to ask father but he might not allow it.”
“Why?” I could name a few reasons why, but I decide not to tell.
“I just know it. Don’t ask too much questions I don’t want you too talkative when you grow.” We arrive at our destination and the coachman opens the door and I exit with Beth. I nod at the coachman. “Come with us I would need you to hold stuff for us.” He nods and I enter London with Beth. We walk around and she goes round picking the things she wants for her birthday. Paying each and telling Beth to stay close, giving the presents to the coachman.

A woman approaches, “You are such a perfect father to take your young one out to spoil, don’t do it too much or she might rebel.” I look at her.
“I’m her older brother.” She looks at me surprised.
“Well, you’re a beautiful young man, my daughter would be happy to meet you.”
I say my thanks and explain I am already in a marriage and she apologizes going away quickly. Me and Beth continuing our outing.

On the way back to the carriage Beth wails, “I’m feeling a bit light headed brother.” I look at her and put my hand on her head.
“Your fine, it’s probably your body saying you need a rest. We did get a lot of presents.” We continue to walk and we get to the carriage. Half way through our journey home she complains again.
“Brother my stomach hurts so much, I feel faint.” I was a bit worried, but brushed it off.
“Speak to the Nurse, you're probably on the rag.” We returned home and the coachman opens the door for us to get out. I hold Beth's hand to get down, as she took a step she fell forward, fainting. I grabbed her and called the coachman to get the Nurse.

As he rushed inside, I tried calling for her to wake up. “Beth! Beth!” The Nurse rushes out along with Mother.
“Get her inside.” The Nurse told. I picked her up and took her inside. Mother was demanding what happened but I took Beth down on the settee, Nurse went to fetch the doctor. I told Mother to get a flannel and put it under chilly water as Beth was running a fever. I took her coat off and placed it on the armchair near and carefully untied the corset pushing it from her placing it under the coat to hide the fact she was wearing it. Mother came back with the flannel and I placed it on her forehead.

Minutes went by and the Nurse came back with the Doctor. He examined her and predicted she fainted from lack of nutrition. “Lack of nutrition? She eats well, and ate today before the faint.”
“Ryde, dear please don’t argue with Mr. Franklin.” Mother went to hold my arm, instead I went to the armchair moving the coat and the corset under and sat. Mother looked, fixing her posture, and turned towards the doctor. “So sorry about his behavior, he has a soft spot for Beth.” Mother apologized.
“No it’s fine, older brothers always get protective over the little ones. Now onto treatment.” I peered over at Beth, then to Nurse. Nurse Frier would be gentle. Why not now?

The doctor tells us that Beth would be fine after a few days, but she got more worse. She had no energy, no motivation. Nothing. My suspicions grew towards Nurse Frier. Theo ended up making an unexpected appearance at my door.

I opened the door and there stood Theo. “Hello Theo, got a time off work I see.” He nods and I allow him to go inside. I lead him to the common room and he took a seat while I seat myself opposite. Theo only had work off on Saturdays so he uses this to see Beth.
“Beth is usually here, where is she?” He went to search behind stuff Beth would hide in, I look at the floor. He takes a peek at me. “Where’s Beth Ryde.” He sits in front, I look him in the eye, looking at the color on my eyes comforts me. “Ryde.”
I sigh, “She’s sick, she passed out five days ago.” The news he heard wasn’t what he wanted to hear. He looks at the floor.
“What did the doctor say?”
“He said she would’ve been fine by now, but she got worse, Nurse Frier went to search for him not too long ago.” He nods.
“How are you holding up with it. You did take care of her the most.” I think about.
“I’ve keeping myself in line.” I love how he wants to know if I’m ok. The more he gives me this attention the more I want it. “You? How’s your family doing?”
He widens his eyes, showing more of his color. “Well, my sister she got married off last week, my brother hasn’t come home for 3 days and my mother’s doing fine, keeping her line in place.”
“We both need a drink.”
“I can agree.” I stand up and head to the cellar taking a whiskey bottle off the rack, exiting I took two shot glasses and headed back to the room Theo was in.

Theo was looking at my drawings as I put the drink and glass on a table, “Like them?” He was startled and put them back, nodding.
“very lifelike. Do you want to be an artist?” I fill his glass and mine.
“Maybe, not in the mood to choose.” I pick up my glass and takes a seat, Theo sitting beside. We clink our glass and we drink our serving. “Another drink?” I put my glass down, and he puts his on the table.
“Please.” I refill our glasses and we drink again.