2

“I don’t get marriage,” Michael said, taking his turn to throw his marble towards the hole I created, missing completely. “Well, they do benefit us but the girls are all ugly.” I looked at him.
“What?” I questioned.
“I mean if they want me to marry, they should be beautiful, I don’t care about the benefits.” He looked at me, “It’s your turn to throw.” He nudged his head to the game.
“Oh sorry,” I threw and missed. “It’s just you shouldn’t date someone just for looks, I’ll be lucky to find anyone to marry.”
“I’m sure you’ll find someone Theo.” He looked at the hole. “Why are we playing this?” I looked at the game we were playing. We only played the game to cheer him up because his sister’s getting married.
“To keep your mind off your sister.” I replied. He groaned and swore.
“Why did you have to remind me about that? Now I’m going to be pissed off.” He looked at me, then looked back on the ground. "Why does Silvia have to be married off to a guy who only cares about your eyes than the benefit? Such a wanker.”
“Who is the guy?” I asked. “If he’s a wanker he must have a weird name like Dick or something.”

Michael Laughed, “You’d be surprised. Apparently, his name is Ryde.” He went to look at me. “He would benefit my family with wealth that would double our income but doing the math, it’s actually doubling a quarter of our income.” He turned to look at the carriage riding past, a green and silver with a brown proper horse.
“What did your family say that would benefit his family?”
“More land. His father who was with him agreed before my sister could speak. Like father like son, I guess.” We were in silence for a while until Michael broke the stillness inviting me to Dinner, I accepted.

Making our way to Michael's house was at least the fun part, we were joking with each other about Ryde and his obsession with eyes. The sky being just sunset and the tree in a warm color of orange, red and yellow. Some green could be seen but not that much. The path was built not too long ago and had a pattern of cobble and gravel. In the distance his house could be seen, a common house you could see but was ancient and built in the 1700s, the bricks being covered with ivy was just adoring. He led me inside. His sister invited us home. “Hello brother. Theodor.” She took a sigh as she said my name.
“Silvia.” If she was going to give me this attitude, I will give it back.
“Father told me Ryde will come to join us to dinner.”
Michael groaned once more, “Seriously? Well Theo will join us.” His father came into the corridor.
“Ah Michael your home! Hello Theodor if I knew you were going to come in, I would have gotten my telescope ready.” Mr. Farrow and I adore looking at the star formations. “Joining us to Dinner?” I nod.

“Well then, I will get the cook to start cooking for all of us.” He heads down the corridor and calls for the cook, leaving Me, Michael, and Silvia. Michael nudged me to head upstairs so I followed him.
“Finally, somewhere quiet.” He lays on his bed and I sit on his desk facing him. “I hope the marriage goes unsuccessful; I don’t want that boy touching my sister. Or be anywhere near her for the fact.”
“But what if it goes successful?” This was a genuine question, so many questions can be asked about Silvia’s marriage but that one sticks out.
“Then God forbid me I will kill a man.” He sits up and we stay in silence till dinner was ready.

Sitting at that table would be questionable. With how much food there was I was not sure how it would go around. The door opens and a man walks in, He had long hair put into a low pony tail, his uniform being a dark blue and black cloak, his trouser being a mahogany brown. He had glasses on with the rim a gold color, his beauty was outstanding, I know why he goes to this family as any girl would want him. I peered over at Michael and he seemed displeased. I knew then that this was Ryde. He sat himself down and eyed at me, up and down. “Who’s he?” He asked.

“His name is Theo, I invited him to dinner.” Michael speaks. His tone was not relaxed as usual. Ryde starts cutting his steak.
“It’s worrying that you present a boy here in front of an unmarried woman.” He takes a bite.
I speak up looking at my dish “I’m a family friend of the Farrow family,” I look up at him. “I feel no interest towards her.” I continue to eat my food. I could feel his glare on my face, we then all continued eating.

After dinner, Ryde suggested that him and Michael go out for a walk near his house just to get to know Michael. Michael told us he was going to run some errands with me to London, but Silvia assured him that this was beneficial to bond with Ryde. He gave in but said I had to come too. Me and Ryde locked eyes, he agreed saying he should know who I was before marrying Silvia. In this moment I did not know if this was generous or just to look nice.