- 𝕏𝕏𝕏𝕀𝕀𝕀: Victory, at Last -

Disclaimer: the following chapter contains extreme spoilers for the finale of Demon Slayer. Please read at your own expense.

"BOTH OF YOU! STOP ATTACKING! THE DEMON IS NO LONGER REGENERATING!" Himejima yelled.

Sanemi ignored him, and grit his teeth, preparing another attack. Himejima held him back, forcing his arms to his side so he was harmless. "SHINAZUGAWA! IT'S OVER!"

You fell to your knees and began to break down, crawling weakly to Genya. "We defeated Upper Rank One! The fight is finished! It's already over!"

Sanemi slumped and fell forward, hitting the ground hard.

You stopped your pathetic crawling and sobs shook your body. I can't even speak. I can't do anything. Sanemi will surely die from those wounds, as will I! Genya is dying now, and Tokito is already gone!

Sobs wracked your body, making your broken ribs cry with you. You pressed your forehead to the ground until the mat left an important in your skin. You shook violently, unsure of what to do. Your fists were clenched so tight your fingers went numb. Blood spilled from your wounds, making you even more lightheaded than you were from crying.

"Himejima... my brother... Tokito...." Genya murmured. You watched Himejima bend over him.

"We're alive. It's all right. But Tokito... Tokito..."

"I'm okay, so tend to Tokito..." Genya whispered weakly. "Quickly." Himejima didn't move. "My... brother... he's still alive. Good...

And Y/n?"

"They're both alive."

"Good. I don't... want Sanemi to get hurt anymore..." Genya smiled weakly, his eyes glossing over already.

Himejima left Genya's side and moved to Tokito, covering his severed body with his haori. "Tokito... it's thanks to you we were able to win. From the bottom of my heart, you have my gratitude and respect. For one so young... you really were magnificent to the end." Tears pitter pattered on the mat in front of Himejima. He bowed his head as he closed his comrade- no. His friend's eyes with his hand.

Sanemi's eyes opened slowly, but he shook off his pounding head ache and terrible pain when he saw what was in front of him. He cried out until his lungs stung and his throat was raw. Without even standing on his feet, he scrambled to his brothers side and shook his body. "WHAT'S GOING ON?! HIS BODY! WHY IS HIS BODY CRUMBLING LIKE A DEMON?!"

You bowed your head again, unable to watch. The flickering the sound of Genya's body turning to ash made your stomach coil into a tight knot. A black worm of despair sat heavy in the bottom of your heart.

"Sa... Sanemi..."

"DON'T WORRY! I'LL HELP YOU! YOUR BIG BROTHER WILL HANDLE IT SOMEHOW!"

Tears trickled down Genya's cheeks and over his nose. "Sanemi... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for criticizing you. That... one time..." His body began to fall apart into fine powder. "Sorry for always... troubling you..."

Sanemi blinked away tears that spilled over the body of his dying brother. "YOU NEVER EVEN TROUBLED ME ONCE! DON'T DIE! YOU CAN'T DIE BEFORE ME!"

Genya's voice was hardly audible anymore. "Thank... you... for protecting... me."

Sanemi clenched his brothers clothes in his fists; his chest ached so, so bad. His head hurt, his face hurt, his injuries hurt, his heart hurt. Everything hurt. "BUT, I DIDN'T PROTECT YOU!"