- 𝕏𝕀𝕏: Date. -

A couple weeks passed, and no news or signs of Sanemi were presented to you. That was until one afternoon while you were training with Mitsuri. Sanemi sat himself down on the steps out the garden and watched lazily as you two duked it out. You landed on your feet and skidded backwards, leaving a cloud of dust in your wake. You heaved, and Mirsuri clapped gleefully.

"Well done! I think that's enough for today! Why don't we go in and get something to eat- Oh!" She turned and noticed her peer. "Sanemi! When did you get here?"

"A while ago. Never mind that, I stopped by to train your tsuguko." He looked her up and down, disapprovingly. "Since clearly, they need it." He muttered. You shot him a look.

"Mitsuri is wonderful! She's a much better teacher than you!" You scoffed.

"Is that so? Then how come you managed to get a hit on her? Hm?" He stood and unsheathed his sword.

"I'll fight you now if I have to prove it! I could beat your ass!" You drew your own blade and sneered.

"Guys! It hasn't even been two minutes! Can we please just go and eat?" Mitsuri begged.

You put your sword away and nodded. "I'll be the bigger person. Honestly, it's quite shameful for a Hashira to be less mature than a meer student." You teased, smiling dauntingly at Sanemi as you walked past.

He scoffed.

Mitsuri went inside, and you followed after her with Sanemi hot on your heels. She whipped up some ohagi and placed it gently in front of you. Mitsuri stood and smiled when she had finished. "I'll tend to the garden today, Y/n. You stay here."

"Wait- what- No Mitsuri!" You sighed as the door shut behind her.

"What? You hate me that much?" Sanemi said flatly.

"I don't hate you, and you know it." You rolled your eyes.

An unbearable silence fell over you two. "Wanna go out tonight?" Sanemi asked.

You thought for a moment. Do I? Maybe it'll help me sort out the knot of confusion in my stomach. "Sure. I'd love to."

"Good, because you were coming even if you said no. Dress nicely. It's a restaurant a couple hours from here, so get ready; we leave soon." He stood up and picked up a bag by the door. "Same room as last time?"

You nodded blankly and watched him disappear into his room. You slowly got up and went to your own bedroom to change. Flipping through your clothes, your hands found themselves resting on the kimono he had bought you. You smiled warmly and took it out to wear.

"Mirsuri?" You called out, poking your head around the corner as you slipped your arm through the sleeve. You could see her through the kitchen window. She was still in the garden, pulling weeds for the undergrowth.

You went outside and tapped on her shoulder. "Mitsuri?" She jumped, not having heard you approach.

"Oh, Y/n! You look beautiful!" She sprang to her feet. "What's the occasion?"

"Sanemi... asked me out all of a sudden. But, I need help doing my makeup... I don't want to look half-assed or anything... especially since he told me to look nice... So, Mitsuri, will you help me?" You twiddled yourself thumbs and looked at your feet.

Mitsuri's face grew serious. She lifted your chin up to face her, and she stopped your fidgeting by holding your hands. "Y/n." She said, looking into your eyes. "Don't ever ask that question again. It's not a matter of 'will I help you?'. It's a matter of when."