ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

Start from the beginning

"Well, memory loss in an old man can be rather severe," Galand teases causing me to grit my teeth in frustration.

The two of us turn our attention to Gloxinia who uses one of his green vines to poke Galand, saying, "So, what direction are you gonna take?"

"Hmm, let me see," Galand says to himself.

"You shouldn't be encouraging this, Gloxinia," I tell him with a dark frown.

"I noticed something North-West of here," he goes on as if I hadn't spoken. "For a minute, there were power levels that were doubling the Albion's. The one South of us was strange because that Albion seemed to self-destruct as if somehow its own power slammed right back into itself."

Slammed right back into itself? Sounds an awful lot like Full Counter.

"Hey, thanks a lot," Galand says cheerfully as he pats Gloxinia's tiny head. "I'm ready."

Crossing my arms in front of my face, I block the mass amount of dust that blasts towards all of us the second Galand leaps towards the blue skies above us.

"Ever since we were released from the seal, it feels like things aren't the same, right?" Melascula remarks. "Something's off."

"Yeah, I can sense it too," I agree with her as I raise a hand and then flex my fingers. "The magic power that was so plentiful in Britannia 3,000 years ago is dried up. Which probably explains why it's taking so much time for us to regain ours."

"Odd, considering that power started the war between the five races in the first place," the Commandment of Reticence states.

"It's fine," Fraudrin reassures us. "Things aren't quite so dire."

"Hey, you there!" we hear a new voice call out from down below. "Where did you people come from? This is our turf, understand?"

"Humans?" Melascula asks as all of us look down to see two male Humans who have some sort of building equipment with them.

"I know why you're here!" one of the Humans shouts at us. "You want the glass-making stones of Edinburgh!"

"If any of you miners find any of them and dig them up, we except the cut," the other Human says.

"They really think we're miners?" I say with one of my eyebrows twitching in annoyance. "How disgusting."

"Magical power once flowed from the earth but now it's spilled over onto the wildlife and plants," Fraudrin explains to us. "Over the past 3,000 years, the beings that run rampant in this land have each been absorbing it."

"Hey, listen up!" the same Human from before yells at us. "You understand what we're saying to you? Or—"

I blink when I realise that the Commandment of Purity has suddenly appeared right in front of that male Human, her face blank.

"Well, hello there, sweetheart," the Human tries to say with a charming voice. 

Silently, Derieri places the tip of her index finger at the centre of his chest and the Human's eyes immediately turn white and his soul escapes through his mouth. Derieri easily grabs the soul and then eats it.

"What d'you do?" the other Human exclaims. "Hey, snap out of it!"

"Tell me, how does it taste?" Melascula asks our comrade.

Swallowing down the soul, Derieri smiles and gives us the thumbs up, replying, "Bottom line is it's two birds with one stone."

Bile quickly builds up in my throat when I see this but I forcefully push away the urge to puke and bite hard on my lip.