Chapter 36

After a short conversation, the sun was already setting down outside. So I walked quickly while holding Doggy in my arms.

“Damien!”

Damien, who was waiting near me, appeared as a hawk. I had ordered him to sit on the wall at the church earlier.

“You do remember the man’s face from before, don’t you? Kim Taehyung.”

“Kirrk (Yes, Master).”

“Go after him. I need you to figure out the rest of his movements for today.”

Damien flew high instead of answering. I was looking up at the hawk that disappeared in an instant, and then I took Doggy out of the narrow alley.

As soon as Amber, who was waiting in the carriage, saw me she rushed over to me.

“Why are you so late, Milady? I really thought my heart was about to burst.”

Of course, I expected Amber to be worried.

“I’m sorry, I met up with someone… But Amber, you’re exaggerating a bit. I don’t think this is enough to set your heart off…”

I smiled brighter at Amber deliberately, while she had a serious look on her face.

When I go back to the mansion, I was definitely going to get nagged from verse 1 to verse 4 anyways.

“I’m not exaggerating. Milady thinks too comfortably about the Duke’s overprotectiveness. You shouldn’t ignore the power of the Duke.”

“…I’m just an adopted daughter of the Duke. You’re blowing it out of proportion.”

Amber’s expression crumpled as she was deeply displeased with my nonchalant answer.

Still, she didn’t continue nagging me anymore, so I guess she really was in a hurry.

As we rode the carriage back to the mansion, the surroundings outside could be seen gradually turning dark.

I tried to sneak out, but as expected, I failed. This was my only thought as the carriage went up the small hill towards the Ducal estate.

Even from a distance, the brighter than usual lights in the manor proved this.

As I looked towards Amber, who was sitting across from me, I felt my heart pounding louder.

Amber couldn’t take her eyes off the carriage window, her expression complicated.

I swallowed back a sigh as we passed by the knights standing in a neat row with the street brightly lit.

Maybe I shouldn’t have drank tea with Taehyung?

I didn’t know the situation would get out of hand like this. I already expected that I would hear something from the Duke after getting back, but I didn’t know he’d kick up a fuss like this.

As soon as the carriage stopped, the door burst open. Apparently, I thought the Duke would come rushing in first.

“I’m sorry, I was just curious about the outside, so I went out for a while…”

But what I said didn’t last. It was because outstretched arms came in and hugged my waist and pulled me out in an instant.

“Ack.”

I stretched my arms out in surprise. I hugged his broad shoulders and blinked quickly.

A thick musk scent came into my nose. Unlike the Duke, who has a masculine scent that is refreshing.

“lis!”

“…Brother?”

With this kind of fuss, I thought that the Duke would be the only one who would do this.