Chapter 38: A Promise of Boba

Начните с самого начала

Every day, like clockwork, we snuck out to the wilderness of the mountain after dinner. To watch the sun as it was swallowed by the sea, the vibrant hues of crimson, pink, and indigo in the sky, the stars blinking into existence miles above us . . .

But every day, I was reminded that we didn't have forever. Our days were numbered, and it was only a matter of time before our worlds were flipped upside down. The pale grey of nothingness during the sunset, right before the sky exploded with colour like a god had swathed it with paint had become my new favourite colour. It reminded me of a blank canvas, full of limitless possibilities, possibilities that I didn't have the luxury of having.

And tonight . . . tonight would determine whether or not Luke would be lost from himself next year.

As if that isn't enough reason for you to focus! I scolded myself, tuning back in just in time to hear Atlas say, "Go fetch Annabeth" to a dracaena, who slithered off towards the miraculously fully formed prison in the palace.

"They have just arrived at the foot of the mountain," Atlas informed after the dracaena left. "It's only a matter of time before they arrive. Go get your weapons, send the signal for the army on the ship to begin their march, and meet me here in fifteen minutes."

A collective "Yes sir" arose, followed by no small amount of bowing, and all dispersed. All except for the two of us.

"Not you two," Atlas warned as we made towards the crumbling arch that was the exit. "I'm not done with you yet."

I glanced at Luke, who shook his head almost imperceptibly, conveying that he had no idea what this was about. There's no way it's about you, I reminded myself, forcing down the paranoia creeping through my body. No way.

"Sir?" Luke questioned, his face indifferent, his curling fingers the only betrayal of the nerves shooting through him. I knew his thoughts had jumped to Kronos, and another knife stabbed me in the heart, another crack as pain, for Luke, hit me so hard I missed a breath.

Atlas watched us with cool amusement. "Be prepared for them."

"You don't have to worry about the daughter of Zeus, General," Luke murmured. "Our . . . history won't be a liability."

"That's-that's not what he meant," I whispered, paleing. Oh gods, talk about being stuck between a rock and hard place. If Thalia took up Luke's offer, we were screwed. Well, not completely, because I had a plan, but we were still royally screwed.

But if she didn't, then Luke would have to face Kronos. And I still had no clue how I'd get him out. I didn't know how I could possibly save him from his impending fate, short of killing him to spare him the pain of being a prisoner in his own body.

Luke's mouth formed an "o" in understanding, but he nodded silently. "I know Thalia. She will join us. I'll make sure she sees."

"Go," Atlas dismissed, his eyes unreadable. "You have ten minutes."

"Are you alright?" I whispered the moment I knew we were out of earshot and safe from any prying monsters.

"Just peachy," Luke replied, though I saw the lie in his eyes, clear as day. I didn't say anything, though. None of us were alright, but that couldn't be helped.

Suddenly, he pulled me into an embrace. "Can we just stay like this for the next ten minutes?"

In response, I buried my head in his chest and heard the soft rumble of his chuckle, his hand coming up to run idly through my hair.

We stood like that, in silence, clinging to each other in a world full of monsters, and before I knew it, there were two minutes left.

If only time could freeze this moment, forever, I thought.

"We gotta go," Luke rumbled, pulling back.

The sudden cold where his warmth had been washed over me, numbing and unfeeling, and I fought down a shiver. "Okay."

I checked my weapons mindlessly, finding comfort in the familiar movements, and nodded towards the sky where a titan waited. "After you."

But then, right before we stepped out of the shadows, we stopped. My feet suddenly felt leaden, and from the way Luke was gripping the hilt of his sword in a death strangle, I knew he felt the same.

Suddenly, I blurted, "Luke, let's go out for bubble tea after this is over, alright?"

Luke shot me a weird look, no doubt because of the randomness of my question. "Sure," he replied, the ghost of a smile crossing his face. "Not that I know anywhere in 'Frisco, but-"

"No, not like, after the Winter Solstice," I cut in. "After this is over. All of it. In New York."

"Okay," Luke breathed after a beat of silence. "Boba. On the boardwalk in New York Harbour."

"Promise?"

It was useless. I knew both of us couldn't keep it.

"Promise."

But I couldn't help it.