Chapter 1~Wonderfully strange encounters

©2015 Sydney Wray

"Elliot? Do you understand?" My father asked me across our long, narrow business table, as he smoothed down his crisp, black suit.

I nodded. "Of course, sir. The stocks are high at the moment, therefor we need to act fast but appropriately. Wage our money wisely, and I believe we can make excellent deals."

My father beamed, holding out his hands to his business partners seated in our home. "See what I mean? Boy's got smarts."

"Like father, like son." One of them snickered with combined laughter. "I think you've sold us, John. Elliot," the man paused, glancing at my proper position and neutrally serious expression, "has seemed to have proved himself."

The man looked at me once more. "And at only eighteen! It blows my mind, to be honest. But I think we can promise you your father's spot, once he has passed it on to you, of course."

I stood, holding it his hand to exchange handshakes. This had always been the proper thing to do. "Thank you, sir. That means great amounts to me."

He nodded, standing up and motioning to his colleagues to follow. "Until next time."

Our Butler let our guests out, shutting the crystal door softly behind them without a word.

"Damion," Father spoke a command, hitching his head in an aristocratic way and holding his hands behind his back, "Inform the cooks I will not be here tonight for dinner."

I looked up, raising my eyebrows. "Where are you going?"

"Out."

I half-nodded. 'Out,' usually meant a woman was involved. The absence of my departed mother for the past ten years have been unusually noticeable.

"Oh, and Damion?" My father asked before descending upstairs.

"Yes, sir?" He turned, nodding. 

"Make sure to lock the doors tonight. I heard a party, with teenagers," his lip curled in disgust as if he had mentioned a type of Vernon, "is being held on the beach. It's a good thing Elliot isn't one of those."

Damion nodded, shooting me a glance. 

[~~~]

The house was unusually quite without my father's pacing steps, and constant business calls. The Maids, and Cooks scurried quietly around me without exchanging a word or glance. My Father had made sure of the obvious avoidance. It was unbelievably lonely, so I picked up a book about Law and loosened my red tie before lounging myself on the Black recliners.

I hadn't read the first sentence before frantic and urgent-sounding knocking sounded against the doors. I glanced up from my book, listening to the door and waiting for Damion's footsteps. But they didn't come, and the knocking continued.

I reluctantly placed my book on the glass coffee table beside me, and strode to the front door.

I unlocked it, and pulled. The beach air filled my nostrils, along with the light breeze and loud party music in the distance. A girl, with wild dirty blonde hair stood on the steps. Sun-given freckles sprinkled across her nose, which accented her bright blue eyes and the summer's gift of a tan complexion. She wore a yellow sundress that flowed right above her knees.

I hadn't said a word for a few paused seconds, because I had never seen such a beautiful girl in my life.

She was hopping strangely from foot to foot. "Hi, I'm sorry about this. I don't usually knock on stranger's doors, but this is an emergency."

I looked around, expecting to see a dangerous person trailing her.

The girl let out a vibrant laugh. "I have to pee. Do you have a bathroom?"

"Um," I stuttered, searching for words, "Y-yeah. Come in." I couldn't help but think of what my Father would think of me at the moment.

I stepped aside for the nameless girl to step in, who stopped almost immediately as soon as she entered. I hesitantly shut the door, blinking at the blonde. She was exquisite.

I watched her eyes widen, as she took in her surroundings. The chandelier hung above us in the Foyer, and the long staircase positioned itself on the right.

"Wow." She breathed, her bouncy-stance somewhat gone as she gaped at my house.

I just stared at her. Her long, curly hair fell over just above her belly button. Her sandals, brown leather, covered red-painted nails. Although the color may not seem to match the yellow dress, the clashed colors seemed to match perfectly in her own way.

"So, can I use your bathroom?" She asked again, as the silence in the room seemed to have stretched for a good fifteen seconds.

I parted my lips. "Oh! Right..um-right in here."

I led the way into the kitchen, through the library, and near the Laundry room area. The bathroom stood across from that room.

I motioned hand, and watched her smile gratefully to me. "Thank you."

I nodded, and watched her slowly close the door while her gaze locked on mine.

I jumped, finally realizing she was about to use the bathroom, so I left the room and waited in the kitchen. I checked my hair in the mirror, smoothing it down into it's proper style. Around two minutes later, the girl seemed to find her way back to where I was.

I licked my lips nervously.

She raised an amused eyebrow. "Did you do something to your hair?"

Heat rushed to my cheeks, as I quickly and as causally as I could, said, "No."

The girl shook her head, a soft smile tugging at her lips. "Okay.."

She trailed her finger along the countertop, glancing dreamily and curiously around the in the kitchen. I straightened my tie.

"What's this?" She asked, pointing to the black picture frame presenting a pressed flower. The girl went to pick it up, when I swiftly walked to her side to take the frame politely from her hands.

She looked startled, but pressed her lips together. "Sorry. I didn't know-"

"It's completely fine." I said, my tone becoming more curt than I expressed it to be. I set the important frame down.

"I think it's time for me to go." The girl said, blacking away slowly and obviously noticing my tone.

I looked at the gorgeous creature in front of me, trying to become familiar to the feeling that was currently blossoming in my stomach.

"Oh. Okay." I didn't know what else to say.

The girl half-nodded, smiling. "Well it was nice meeting you. Thanks for the bathroom."

"Yeah, any time." I said lamely, mentally cursing myself for being so weird.

The girl let out one of her vibrant laughs, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "Right..bye." And she turned around, her perfectly imperfect hair flying behind her, and let herself out.

And to think I never asked for her name.

A/N: First chapter, how'd you like it? Vote, comment, and read:) Send me cover ideas; anything! Have a good day, my lovelies<3