3. it's heavy in your chest

Hi again! Thank you for reading. More interactions with Tony Stark are to come.

You sat awkwardly on that field, watching as everyone in the science programs walked across the stage for their diplomas. You felt as though you were out of place. Everyone had people waiting for them. Even the man that never showered had someone. They knew what it was like for parents to be proud, but all you knew was dislike.

Shame for being a Stark, shame for being a mistake. Shame for simply being alive. "Y/n Y/m/n Stark, with honors in engineering and technology management! I'm sure your family is proud of all that you have succeeded in." A bitter taste filled your mouth as you stood from your chair, walking towards the stage.

Your Jimmy Choos were clicking against the marble floor with every step towards the Dean. A smile on your face as you accepted his congratulations and posed for a single photo. In the crowd, in the single chair that was reserved for Tony, sat Bucky. Watching you with pride as a chapter closed and another opened for you with a simple piece of paper.

You could hear him cheering. His smile was infectious. The facade of one originally on your face is now genuine as you catch sight of your favourite super-soldier. You knew how difficult it was for him to be sitting in a crowded room, but he chose to come. You walked back to your seat, sneaking a glance behind you before turning your attention to the stage.

You were in cloud 9, despite having no one but your best friend beside you. At least that's what you believe; In the back, hiding in the shadows with Happy was your father. A teary look in his eye as he watched his oldest daughter received her degree. He was proud, anyone who knew him could see it on his face, but it didn't matter.

Not anymore, at least not to you. Tony had hurt you one too many times. "She's just like you," Happy commented, a smile on his face. He had come to think of you as a niece, even if he did the fatherly roles. All Tony could do was nod,  silently agreeing even though he knew graduating from University early was all your own doing.

When the ceremony ended, music played through the PA system as the former students went to join their families. Tony watched as you ran for Bucky, throwing your arms around the tense man, making Tony's blood run cold.

He knew you and Bucky were close. Even though he hated the 106-year-old soldier, it didn't bother you. The scene in front of Tony was sickening, he wanted to step, but the way you smiled when you looked at the Tinman stopped him. He had no right, not anymore.

Happy took notice of Tony's change in demeanour, and like he was trained, guided him away from the crowded field.

You and Bucky walked out into the street, your arm wrapped around his flesh arm. "So, what do you want to do, Miss. Stark?"  A smirk danced upon Bucky's features as he gazed down at you.

"Let's get drunk," was the simplest of answers. Unlike any other significant achievement, no one was waiting to celebrate with you. No one else cared except for Bucky.

Even though it was damn near impossible for him to get drunk, he let out a small chuckle before replying. "Your wish is my command." You both slipped into your supra, eager to leave this building. The drive to the compound was spent in laughter and light-hearted conversation. Bucky even blushed a couple of times whenever you made a suggestive comment.

Arriving back at the compound, fortunately, the parking lot was empty. In a rush, you and Bucky ran inside, ignoring the looks from other staff members as the two of you cleared out the mini bar in the common room.

You both collapsed onto the sofa. Your legs draped across Bucky's legs. "So, James," the look of surprise on your friend's face was enough to send you into a fit of giggles. "I'm sorry, I just thought-"

"Y/n!" Bucky cut you off, a soft smile flooded his handsome face. "You can call me James."

It was a simple action that reminded you that someone was proud of you. That, someone, liked having you around. "Thank you." He gave your hand a soft squeeze, his sizeable warm flesh hand engulfing your tiny hand.

You were taking a swig off of the vodka bottle that you grabbed. The liquid burned your throat, but you didn't care. Being around Bucky was all that mattered because it reminded you that there were still kind men out in the world.

4 hours later...

Laughter could be heard throughout the floor, forcing the returning group to meet in the common room. At first, everyone thought they were hallucinating, sitting on the couch, looking entirely at peace with each other day Bucky and Y/n.

A bottle of Asgardian liquor was on the coffee table, a good portion gone. An empty 26 oz bottle of vodka sat next to it, along with a half-eaten pizza. While they weren't surprised to see you drinking at 3 in the afternoon, they were more interested in the position you and Bucky were in.

In the common room of the compound, You straddled Bucky's lap, your arms wrapped around his neck, and the both of you were just smiling at each other. The bond that you and Bucky shared was no secret. This was one of the rare moments that only a few had stories about.  Completely unaware of the world around you because everything was just better when only the two of you were spending time together.

Feeling the air shift around you, the spell that was once cast over you and James broke. "Uh, hi," you slurred, sending a sarcastic salute towards your friends. The greeting alone sent James into a fit of giggles. 

"Hey you two," Wanda cooed cautiously, taking in the lack of personal space between the two drunks. "Whatcha celebrating?"

Removing yourself from James' lap, you rose on unsteady legs. "I officially hold two degrees," you hiccuped, "Starting in 3 months, I will be moving forward with my education."

"That's amazing news, sweetheart!" Nat cheered, her arms jerking out in excitement. There were cheers from everyone in the room. Even some of the other staff members in the background cheered, but you were completely content with James' company.

Natasha helped you upstairs to your bedroom with the day coming to a close. Unable to keep yourself up straight. Across the compound, Steve was helping Bucky down to his room.

"So, you and Y/n have fun tonight?" There was a suggestive tone in Steve's voice as he questioned his best friend. All he got in response was a grunt as he stumbled through his bedroom door. Steve instantly took note of your t-shirt thrown haphazardly on the floor.

Once Bucky was in his gray jogging pants and situated on his bed. Steve tried to talk to him again. "So, you and Y/n. You guys seem rather close." It was rare to see Bucky happy, but it seemed that the weight of his past disappeared whenever he was around you. Steve saw it every time the two of you were together.

"She's just amazing," Bucky mused, covering his face with his flesh arm. "I don't get how Tony doesn't see that. She's so hurt and so angry."

Steve didn't have an answer from the day he stumbled upon Y/n in the lab. "He didn't introduce Y/n to us when the avengers were first formed. She was still in middle school or something." Steve shook his head at the memory. "She's special, that's for sure, Buck."

"Hmmm." Looking up, Steve noticed that Bucky had fallen asleep during his short ramblings. Laughing to himself, he turned to leave but stopped when he heard mumbling from behind him. In comparison, muffled words were distinctive. "Love you, baby doll."

Upstairs, Nat stood at the foot of your bed, watching you sleep. She knew today was a big day for you. What surprised her most was you didn't tell her. Needing answers, she quietly stormed off to find Tony.

-.-.-

I know the relationship between the reader and her father - Tony, is taut. I apologize, but eventually, it will work itself out.