Chapter 8 Highs and Lows

Start from the beginning

"We can take a tourist day if you'd like." Nera says out of nowhere. "If you've never really seen St. Louis before, we can take you around to different places like the Arch, the history museum and a few other places. It'll be fun!" "Yea," Shawn says, "We haven't done that for a while! We can even eat Imo's for dinner!" Nera frowns. Shawn looks at me with his thumb pointed in her direction. "She's not a fan of Imo's, but she'll go because I love it. You have to try Imo's if you haven't been there before. They are a St. Louis tradition."

I've been to St. Louis a lot, but have never really seen it. Sounds like fun. "I would really like to do that, but we can't drive ourselves. I'll set us up with a limo and a driver. Because if I am recognized we'll be able to get away faster." They both seem to be excited about spending the day being tourist and doing it in a limo. Nera tells us that she will be finished and ready to go in about an hour. While I set up a car and driver, Shawn goes in and changes the sheets on the bed and move his things into her room. I don't know what to think of that. He comes back to the table and asks me for my keys so he can get my bags. I tell him that I don't have any bags. He gives me a look and tells me that we will stop by the store and get me some.

Nera finishes the contracts, goes to freshen up and get ready to go. They show me where the other bathroom is so I'm able to freshen up and be ready when the car arrives. "So what do you want to do first?" Nera asks. "Is there anything that you have always wanted to see, but never had the chance?" "I would really like to go to the Arch, but I'm hungry. Let's do lunch and then go to the Arch."

"Sounds like a plan." Shawn says. I put on my hat and we head out to the waiting limo. Nera tells the driver to take us to Sweetie Pies in the loop. I'm excited to go there. I've seen the show on television and heard about it and the food is supposed to be really good. We pull up to Sweetie Pies and there is a line. Someone who works inside comes up to the car as we get out. They escort us into the restaurant and take us to a back room where we can eat in privacy. We start to eat and the fried chicken and macaroni and cheese is so good. I look at Shawn and his plate is as overloaded as mine. Nera's plate is pretty full also. She gets about halfway through her plate. "Whew! I am so full, but I will definitely make room for the peach cobbler." She got the catfish. Shawn immediately grabs her greens, not wanting to lose out, I take the rest of her catfish. This food is awesome! We finish eating and Shawn and I laugh watching Nera try to take more than two bites of her peach cobbler. We try to take it from her also, but she makes a fuss and have them put it in a to go container for her.

We all waddle out to the car and direct the driver to go to the Arch. We wait in line to get our tickets and then go through the museum while we wait for our numbers to be called to go up into the arch. Nera turns to me. "You were really worried about me?" I start to feel a little embarrassed. "Every time that I have texted or called before, you have always answered me immediately. When you didn't I kind of freaked out. I didn't know if something happened to you or if you had changed your mind about working for me. Either way, I wanted to find out."

She smiles. "One thing that you will learn about me. I am a pretty straight forward person. If I have an issue with something, you will know about it. If I become quiet, there may be something wrong, but I'm not ready to talk about it yet so don't push. I will let you know when I figure it out in my own head. I look forward to working for you and really looking forward to it when I graduate and can move to Chicago permanently." I take a deep breath in relief. I open my mouth to answer when they call our numbers over the intercom. I grab her hand and pull her along as we go get into another line to get to the elevator. I glance at Shawn and he's looking at our linked hands and smiles. Hmm, interesting.

We finally make it to the elevator and find that it's an egg shaped cocoon that you can sit in. It can normally fit six people but with the size of Shawn and I, we were only able to fit four people. The girl who got into the elevator with us recognized me about halfway up. I promised her a picture, autograph and will send her a t-shirt if she kept my identity a secret. I switched places with Nera to sit beside her and take a selfie with her phone and my phone. I told her that I would put our picture on twitter and give her a shout out. She was excited and asked for a hug before we got out of the egg.