Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Do you always live like a bat?" Michie announced as he looked around the dark dorm. Trying to make light of the situation.

"I actually quite like bats." I said in the most upbeat voice I could. It was true. I had always loved bats. The way they are so free, how they move in different directions so quickly. Their pointy ears always fascinated me as well.

Michie wondered around and turned on some lights. I squinted my eyes shut, slowly getting used to the brightness. By the time my eyes adjusted, I noticed Michie was sitting next to me.

"What are you watching?" He asked. This was now becoming awkward. The last time we were alone, we made out till I said Cales name and then ran away.

"Cabin in the woods. Not my favourite, but it's not bad." I shrugged casually.

"You watch scary movies by yourself...in the dark...that's not normal." I chuckled at his comment.

"So I've been told." I remembered when Cale called me a psychopath for watching scary movies alone. Here I was, wanting to get my mind off Cale, yet everything he said somehow reminded me of him.

The next few minutes, we sat chatting about the movie, Michie asking questions about why I watched these movies, a question I truly never knew the answer to, I just did. After a few laughs we sat there as the movie ended, and I couldn't think of what to discuss next.

"If I kissed you what would you do?" My eyes widened as my head snapped so quickly towards Michie I thought it would dislocate.

"Why are you asking me that?" My champagne brain was in full effect, and I wasn't sure what would come out of my mouth.

"I don't know. I know this isn't the right time to ask, but I don't know when I'll get this opportunity again." He stared at his hands as I stared at him, emotionless. How could someone like him possibly even like someone like me?

"I'm hoping maybe, we can start over." I sighed lightly at his request. He was acting as if we were once dating when we weren't.

I leaned in slightly, wondering if what I was about to do was incredibly stupid or if it would go the way I wanted it. I leaned in more and noticed Michie looking at me curiously, my face giving nothing away. Before my brain could stop me, I leaned in the rest of the way and kissed him, keeping my hands on the couch. Michie eagerly responded and put his hands around my neck. He tried to move his lips eagerly to mine, but I forced him to keep it soft and light, almost polite. When his hands started to intertwine themselves into my curls, I pulled away.

"so does that mean..." Michie started to say. It was evident this did not go how I wanted.

"I'm sorry Michie", I interrupted softly

He furrowed, his brow confused. "Sorry? I'm confused, you just kissed me."

"It was a goodbye kiss." I said a little louder.

"Is that even a thing?" Miche threw his hands up.

"It is in all the dumb romance movies my sister used to watch." I said in a low voice. Why I thought it was real, I wasn't sure.

Michie pinched the bridge between his nose. "Sterling, movies aren't real and typically, both parties know that it's a goodbye kiss!"

He had a point.

"Yea, I didn't fully think that through," I said slowly as I processed his words. He was right. Oh boy, I have really messed this one up.

He looked at me straight in the eye. "have you been drinking?"

"Well.....yea, a bit." I said sheepishly

"Why did you ask me to come here." Again, a question I didn't know how to answer.