Chapter 13 - The Devil and the Angel

Start from the beginning

****

The morning finally came. As time passed, it was getting warmer, birds were singing among the branches of trees, and people were walking on the street and the first cars were driving. On a bench under the trees in the neighborhood of the street lamp, there was a small, tucked figure with dark circles under her eyes, every now and then yawning.

When the sun had risen higher in the sky, the black-haired man finally left his house, and Emiko left her seat on the low wall by the street. She was hungry and sleepy and cold, but she mustered all her willpower and followed him. After several dozen minutes, however, she stopped and began to stare at the mansion that was in front of her, in which the man she was following, disappeared.

'What is he doing at the Schuwald estate...?!' She looked around, then walked over to the fence and stood to the side of it. That the man could have a connection with Johan is one thing; now it was also that he had some with Schuwald? The young woman rubbed her forehead in deep thought. 'What is the missing part in this puzzle...?'

After a dozen or so minutes, the man left the building and headed for the gate. At one point, however, he stopped and smiled under his breath.

"I see, so Johan is here?" He said as if to himself, then looked back at the building behind him with a serious expression on his face, and after a while he headed for the street. Emiko was more and more uncomfortable at the current situation. What did he mean, anyway? Who is this man?

The mystery, however, was to be solved a short time later.

More precisely, when the man turned his steps up the stairs at the police station. Before he went inside, however, he let two officers pass in the doorway, who, as soon as they saw him, greeted him like they had been with him in a good acquaintance. It made perfect sense to the young woman.

'A policeman or a detective...? Is that why he was watching Lotte and Karl? Because they were first at the scene of Fahren's suicide?' Emiko hid her hands in the coat, where it felt a little warmer, and she was staring at the closed door of the police station. 'Was I really following a cop? God... What a discredit...' However, she was too tired to continue her thoughts, so she went straight back to her rented room. At the moment, she needed nothing but a proper sleep in a warm bed.

****

Although the girl was eager to return to the roof of the university, where there was a perfect vantage point to admire the stars, for the next two weeks she forcibly refrained from doing so. She didn't want to meet Johan again, who might be there again...

In fact, she didn't want to see him again at all. Especially in such a secluded place. Just by his presence, he created some indescribable aura for her, as if he didn't actually come from this world... Emiko, despite all the story she heard from Dr. Gillen and the information she obtained during her investigation in Germany, still felt that many of the mysteries remained unsolved.

That evening, however, she went to the top of the stairs, planning (in the event of someone's presence, that is, Johan's presence), a ruthless and immediate return home. She felt her heart speed up with each next step, so she frowned to try to calm down and continued walking.

When her hand touched the doorknob and the girl stepped onto the roof of the building, a stronger wind blew, blowing her hair in all directions. She looked around.

Silence. Complete silence. She walked around the entire area, but it seemed that she was completely alone on the roof. As soon as this certainty hit her fully, Emiko breathed deeply with relief and raised her head towards the stars, smiling gently and stretched her arms towards the sky.