I didn't want to overdo it though. I didn't want to fall into this overprotective, possessive persona. She already had Dave hovering around her like a guard dog, and I trusted her more than enough to know she denied everyone for me.

It was actually quite funny sometimes to see her face when a guy attempted to flirt with her. It was a mix of disgust and panic as she never knew how to let someone down slowly. It turned into awkward stammering until they got the hint and left her alone.

I found myself constantly wanting to join in on the conversations she was having. Just like now, when she was chatting with Zayn and I got into it as well. I just wanted to be near her. I fought the urge to slide my arm around her side and hold her waist, I fought the urge to pull her into me and kiss her temple. I fought the urge to behave like a boyfriend because I wasn't.

"Zayn!" She exclaimed with a wide smile, "That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!" She flung herself around his neck and he chuckled, holding her sides as he hugged her back, "Thanks, P. It's all thanks to you."

"Ah, stop it." She blushed with an eye roll and I raised my brows, "What's going on?"

"Zayn's decided on going to school again!" Penelope smiled and I took a swig of my beer, "Really? Dude, no way! Congrats!"

I patted his shoulder and Zayn smiled a little shyly, "Thanks, Harry. It's, um – yeah, I'm excited. The hospital really supports it and they've got a job lined up for me for when I graduate, just like you said they would. And in the meantime I can continue working two days a week to earn some money."

Penelope beamed with pride at her friend and it was adorable to see. She cared so much for each and every one of these people. Her heart was so big and I smiled at her looking so happy.

"And I haven't told you the best part yet!" Zayn added, "The hospital's paying for my education."

Penelope gasped, "Really?! Fuck, that's huge! School is so expensive!"

"Mhm," Zayn nodded, "because I'll be an asset to them once I graduate. It's actually good for them to support their staff to climb higher and move around within the hospital. So they hope that by doing this for me, others will follow and they can kind of build up an educational program."

I chuckled, "Look at you, being the frontrunner and all, big example for the others, huh?"

"I try, I try." He teased.

I turned to my left to see Louis wiggling his eyebrows at me in a knowing way. I cleared my throat and shot Penelope a small smile, "I'm going to murder Louis."

"Good idea." She nodded. Zayn didn't seem at all fazed at the words, mostly because every single day one person in the group said they wanted to murder Louis. Nobody questioned it anymore.

"I'll help you hide the body." He even muttered in agreement and we all burst out into a laugh.

It was a couple of hours later, when it was nearing midnight, that Penelope sent me a text.

Message from: Cinnamon

Meet in my room in a couple of minutes? Have something to tell you.

My stomach turned immediately at the message. I couldn't imagine in what way she said it. Have something to tell you didn't sound all that... reassuring to be honest.

I searched for her eyes across the room and locked our gazes together before I turned around and headed up the stairs. I quickly saw that the downstairs toilet was occupied so that could be my excuse if anyone asked why I went upstairs. People must really think I have bowel issues with the amount of times I had used that as an excuse for why I was upstairs for so long whenever I was here.