10: Opening Memories

Start from the beginning

"I've heard about you. You're a terrorist. You and your Salamence attacked the Pokemon Association Facility in Johto! Ash, what are you doing with her?"

"You don't know the half of it, so you need to cool it," I said, trying to calm them both down. It was in vain.

"The Draconids don't even exist anymore! I was doing it to stop the Meteoroid that threatened the Hoenn! For the greater good."

"What good does blowing up Devon Corporation buildings do? I personally know people who were working to stop the meteoroid and were hurt by your attacks."

Zinnia scowled at Paul. "I can't believe I have to share a room with you. I'm out of here! Ash, you coming?"

I turned to Paul. He shrugged. "I'm going anyway to heal Froslass. Go follow your girlfriend."

I jogged, catching up to the lorekeeper. "You okay?"

"Yes, genius. That's why I'm sobbing." She lowered her hands, only for tears to drip from her palms.

I pulled her in for a hug. "It's okay. The meteorite is gone now. You did your best."

"It's not that." she said, pulling away. "It's just... It's been almost four years and I still explode at some asshole."

"Paul isn't an asshole..." I noted. "He's just... uhhhhh, let's change the subject."

"Please," she said, holding my hand.

"How did you recognize his full name?"

"So much for changing the subject," she pouted, letting go of my hand and folding her arms. "You and I were assigned to the same room."

"Really?" I asked in disbelief. "What does that have to do with Paul?"

She looked stunned. "You should try using Iron Head."

"Why... OH, I GET IT. Because I'm dense..."

"Ash, Paul is one of the two trainers we're sharing a room with."

I took a second to take that in. 

"Well, we're here," she said.

"Wait, where?" I asked, not realizing we were even walking.

"The opening ceremony is in the Arena you were just battling in," she said. We turned the corner, where the main entrance of the arena was. Unfortunately, we were greeted by a sad sad sight.

"Woah," I said. "That line must have thousands of trainers! We'll never get through."

"Just trust me," she winked, grabbing my hand. She dragged me to the front of the line, where a little kid was standing.

"This is Tom Ato," she told him. "He won the exhibition match against two champions, and he'll sign your shirt if you let us skip you!"

After ruining some poor kid's shirt, we were in. I walked up to the usher. "Show your tournament cards." He grunted. Zinnia flashed a laminated card at the usher. He approved, then turned to me.

"I don't... I think Nurse Joy forgot to give me mine."

"Well then tell her that you're not entering without it," he said. I left Zinnia and jogged over to Nurse Joy.

"I was printing it, but you ran off to battle," she said.

"Well, I'm just glad I have it," I said, reading Tom Ato on my card. "Also, can you heal up Pikachu while we're at the ceremony?"

"Looks like he was in quite a battle," she observed, studying the sleeping, mouse closely, "but he'll be in perfect health when you get back!"

I thanked Nurse Joy, and luckily, the usher finally let us through. We took the best nosebleed seats near the front of the arena.