Chapter 15. Check

I opened my eyes to a fluff of dirty blond hair in my mouth. Well, practically in my mouth. Cooper's head rested on my chest, our bodies tangled together with my arms protectively holding him - a much more intimate sleeping position than our normal cuddling. There wasn't a moment where I had to register last night's events. It was clear what had happened seeing as we were both still naked. A smile formed on my face.

I wanted to overthink it. I did. I wanted to dissect each and every action, things said, the implications of it all... but why bother? I've been there and done that. All it seems to do is hurt us, pull us apart for a few days and end up back in bed. I want Cooper back. All of him. My friend and whatever this may be. Overthinking it has proven to push him away emotionally. No more.

And so, I laid there. Embracing whatever this may be and enjoying having him here with me, in my arms.

"SPENCER!" My mothers screamed from the first floor, traveling throughout the house and up to my room. "SPENCER! GET UP! IT'S PAST NOON!"

"She's so loud." Cooper grumbled, the vibration from his mouth on my chest startling me.

I laughed a bit and then looked down to meet his hazel eyes now looking up at me. "Good morning, champ." I smiled as I greeted him.

He moved slowly off my chest to sit slightly up. "Champ is right, bro. No Homo but you gotta give me some credit for last night. No lube. Sat right-"

"Relax." I cut him off, with a hint of sarcasm. "It was pretty amazing though, no?" I asked with a smile on my face.

God strike me down now but I think Cooper just blushed. I don't think I've ever seen him blush. "Are you blushing?" I teased.

He hit me in the shoulder with an open palm. "Shut up. Cooper does not blush." He spoke in the third person.

"I beg to differ. You're all-"

"SPENCER! COOPER! NOW!!!" My mom's voice sounded closer to the bottom of the stairs which meant she was moments away from storming up and letting herself in.

"Shit. We gotta-"

"Coming Mama Jo!" Cooper called out in response. Lowing his voice, he turned to me and asked, "so, I'm assuming we should probably talk about-"

"No!" I cut in abruptly. He looked at me puzzled, hurt almost. I sighed in realization of how he may have taken it. "I was thinking." I paused, laughing a bit to myself - confusing Cooper even more. "I was thinking about not thinking about it... or overthinking it." I smiled proudly at the end of my sentence but the look on his face wiped my smirk away with force. "What?" I asked in concern.

"So you just want to forget abou-"

"No!" I cut him off again, nearly shouting. "Sorry." I lowered my voice. "I don't want to overthink it and just enjoy whatever this" I gestured with my hand between the two of us, "might be." I paused to gauge his reaction. When he remained silent with an "I don't get it" look on his face, I continued.

"Every time we say it's not going to happen again, it does. Then I try to over analyze it, push you away somehow, things get weird between us and then we wind up... you know... back here." Embarrassed by my last sentence, I rubbed the back of my neck and felt my ears burn a bit.

"Bro." Cooper chuckled. "Who's blushing now?" He teased.

"Whatever asshole." I went to push his shoulder but he moved and I fell a bit forward, my face stopping right next to his. Frozen in place, our breaths mixed as one, heat began to rise through me and our eyes locked. I swallowed and simultaneously, we both began to move in.