chapter six

(that bitch by bea miller)

ARIA

It didn't take a genius to know that I landed myself in an oddly fortunate situation. If I roused in a hospital, the problem would be a hassle to counter.

Instead, I had found myself on a billionaire's bed. If I played it right, everything would be alright. I could work and pay off the debt I owe to Vincenzo. Perhaps, I could sell my story to the public for money to help me in my fresh start. It's not every day someone woke up in a mansion after collapsing.

I still couldn't believe it.

However, as much as this could be a miracle, it might also be my downfall. Wealthy people were often unpredictable, with an ego too large for their own good.

Vincenzo De Luca did not have any humble beginnings. He was born into a position of power, which made it all the worse. He could force me to do unspeakable things, and I'd have to oblige. Thus, I had to show him that I couldn't be controlled so he wouldn't have other ideas. I would stay for a while, and we could go our separate ways.

People would kill to be in my position, which is exactly why I should leave. It would have the media asking 'why?' and I could be sought out. They would pay a hefty sum for my story, and I needed whatever money I could get.

Vincenzo might be rich, but he was not a permanent solution. Owing anything to rich men was equivalent to selling your soul.

I could depend on the media's curiosity and wield it as a weapon for my well-being. My father would not come close to me if I were under constant supervision by the public; he wouldn't dare.

Additionally, I've seen what the internet was saying about me. Pictures of my bloody form were everywhere, on every site I followed. Vincenzo had lifted me in his arms and brought me into his home, and I hadn't yet left. People were dying to know about me, this mysterious woman who woke up in a mansion.

The attention was exciting.

It wasn't good attention, exactly, but I could benefit from it. I could make the best out of it and maybe erase all traces of my old life.

After reading blogs and finding amusement in their rumours, I decided to explore the space. I was unsure if I could or should, but surely the billionaire wouldn't expect me to sit in a room the entire day.

It was how I lived with my father, but I was no longer with him. I wasn't free yet, but I was freer than before.

I opened the door and explored.

Shockingly enough, there was nobody in the mansion. I had expected servants and chefs around the house, but there wasn't a single person in sight. 

Until the front door opened.

A figure stepped into the mansion's foyer, glancing at the double stairs expectantly. It seemed like someone was supposed to approach and kiss her feet.

She had an arrogant aura flanking her, and she knew it. The power that radiated from her outfit, the lines of her face, the glint in her poisonous green eyes and graceful steps made her presence fill the space. It was instant, and I admired it.