8. Settled In

The rest of the day was very relaxed, though it didn't feel that way on my part. For one thing, I kept worrying about Daniel and how he was settling in. He told me he was fine. I pretended to believe him.

I left Daniel to his own devices as I went to eavesdrop on my parents talking. They were in the sitting room. A servant was serving them something to drink.

"I'm so glad Isaac found a companion! Aren't you, dear? Aren't ye glad for him?" Mama had said.

"Yes, of course," said Daddy, drinking from his glass. He was balancing his elbows on his knees. "This man seems to be what Isaac was lookin' for."

"What do ye mean?"

"Isaac's always been misplaced here. That much was obvious. Ye saw him in school. Awkward. Isolated. Our boy hardly had friends! And now he comes home bringing a foreigner, a Brit!"

"He seems pleasant. I see no reason to fear him."

"And I don't. I just think that he may be what's keeping Isaac from coming home."

"Yes, that's true..."

"Oh, I'm sorry, sir. Ye want somthin' te drink, do ye?"

I turned my head. The servant who had served my patents was there. I looked back at my parents who had already been looking at me. I gave my best smile. "Yes, please." I walked to where to wear my parents were and sat down, still smiling, still innocent.

"Mama, Daddy," I greeted them. Soon, my drink was served and I sipped from it. It was coffee.

"Isaac, this is very unusual of ye. Yer in yer room still, waiting until dinner. How's that yer friend doing, son?"

"Daniel's settling nicely. He likes that it's warmer down here, that's for sure." I said, putting the glass to my lips once more.

"That's great, son," Mama said.

"Where's Georgina? I haven't seen her for a while."

"Oh, you know your sister - talking off someone's ear. I think she's in the field."

"Oh." I got up and put down my glass. "I'll go find her."

"Tell your sister to leave the workers alone! You hear me!" Daddy said after me.

I shut the back door before I could answer. I forgot to grab my coat, but I didn't feel like going back to get it.

It wasn't too hard to find Georgina. She didn't know the definition of quiet. She was talking to one of the workers on the field, a man that's been with us for years. He looked thinner, more bitter, and Georgina was talking his ear off.

I walked over to them, hearing their conversation along the way. "I heard Mrs. Johnson wasn't feeling well. What do you think it could be? A cold? I don't remember the last time I had a cold. Mama always bundles me up in everything warm that comes from the house. She had to bribe me with an extra serving of apple pie tonight for me to put on a coat. I would have done it anyway, but I just said yes to please her. I also like apple pie. I like it better than any other pie. Pumpkin pie is my second favorite, but it isn't apple."

"Georgina? Can you come over for a second?" Georgian turned her head and smiled when she saw me. She told the man she'd be right back.

"Isaac! What are you doing here? Usually, you're in yer room 'till dinner."

"I know. Listen, Daddy wants you to stop talking to the workers."

"Why? I'm just making conversation. I bet they get lonely out there, don't you think?"

"They probably do, but hey, listen. Can I talk to you?"

"Sure. What's wrong? Is it your friend? Is everything okay?"