"Let me ask you both something. What makes New Beginnings the grand publishing firm that it is?"

"The employee system," Vanessa answered.

"That's right. The way I have the employees working here, no other firm does. It's because of that competition that our employees have the highest efficiency rate. We're the fastest and best working publishing firm there is on the east coast of America. What does that mean? That means our employees make or break the company, right?"

We both nodded with uncertainty.

"That means our employees are crucial to the company. And you two are the best we've ever had, I hope you know. Now, what can take two amazing competitors to the next level?"

I blinked in realization, my gaze meeting his. "Sir—"

"Combining the two forces, of course."

I shook my head, "Sir, no—"

"You two might want to listen before protesting."

I shut my mouth and glared at the table since I know I can't glare at my boss.

"If the media finds out that our best employees, Vanessa Juliette Griffin and Aaron Sinclair, are in a relationship, New Beginnings will reach another level of fame and experience another level of publicity."

"But—"

He cut Vanessa off, "Questions at the end."

"Okay," she mumbled.

"People will know that you two, the highest-paid employees with the best skills, are now one, a force to reckon with. It will bring so many new authors and opportunities to the firm, plenty of publicity. And by publicity, I don't mean paparazzi and tabloids, we're not celebrities now. But it will help with the talk in our community. Other CEOs, the ones leading other firms, our competition, will think twice before stealing a deal from us, convincing one of our authors to work with them instead. And the authors won't even think about leaving us. Yes, Vanessa, you had a question?"

"But what difference does it make who an employee of the firm dates? I don't think this will help. At all. At the end of the day, we're employees of this firm, our personal lives don't mean a thing to the world."

"That's where you're wrong," he corrected her. "When it comes to the best employees at a firm, they're all we talk about as CEOs. At parties, at lunches, whatever the occasion may be. And my dear... Everybody in our business knows who the two of you are."

She seemed speechless.

"No," I said.

"Yeah... no," Vanessa shook her head. "No, we can't do this."

"Why not?" Davidson asked, his brows pinched together.

"I hate him."

At the same time, I said, "I hate her."

"Ah, that," Davidson nodded. "I'm sure you'll work through it. You did when you had to kiss, didn't you?"

"Mr. Davidson," Vanessa sighed, "please don't turn this into one of your twisted games."

He shrugged. "Everything at my firm is one of my twisted games, my dear. So is this."