"Well, good luck then." She teased.

"Mamaaaa-" You whined.

"Okay nuh uh, no whining baby."

You pouted and she smirked before leaning her face to kiss your pout away.

"I love you, y/n Romanoff."

You grinned like an idiot as your green orbs met the other pair.

"I love you too, Mommy."

Sunday morning, which you and Natasha were always sighted in the training room as early as 6am.

Today, it excited you as it was your favourite training session.

Guns.

Well, if it looked at the logic of it, people should fear this kind of thing but to you, it was just like a toy. You saw Natasha play with it almost everyday.

But of course you got some sharp glares from your mother when you said that out loud.

"Guns are not toys detka(baby). Please don't use that term anymore." She fussed.

And you being the very favourite child of her just grinned with an apology and resulted in you getting a hug from the redhead.

You already knew the basics of handling a gun, which she taught you how to hold and grip it properly, how to aim and never point it to someone when you were distracted or casually talking.

Unless it was on a mission, which clearly you weren't involved in.

And for today, she wanted you to sharpen your accuracy and aims.

She fixed your position; your arm, your leg, your body to perfect the shots.

After making sure you had the perfect stance in her eyes, she then grabbed her gun.

"When you get the perfect stance, it will ease you to aim it wherever you want. But with continuous practice, you can guess by yourself where you want to aim and you can get a better shot by it."

She then held up her gun and aimed it on the shooting target before pulling the trigger.

"Show off." You muttered and rolled your eyes after she hit all the bullets at the center of the target.

She laughed looking at your pout.

"I just want to show you how it's done and the results if you get the right position and lots of practice." She said. "But I'm not gonna lie too that I'm the best shooter." She added while chuckling.

You glared at her.

"But I really want to see you beat me. Come on sweetheart." She said as she gave you the gun.

You accepted Natasha's challenge and went into the shooting range. You did all the positions that she taught you and aimed the gun at the target.

She gave you a total of 5 bullets and surprisingly, 3 of the bullets hit the center. It was not perfect as your mother's but as you were still a beginner, that achievement was gold.

"Great one detka(baby). Someday you can be a great shooter." She said proudly as she rubbed your head softly.

"Um- mama. Can I ask you something?" You said as you put the gun back on the table after unloading it.

"What is it, sweetheart?"

"Can I be an Avenger too?"

Her smile dropped and she let out a heavy sigh. She was thinking about how to answer you properly without hurting your feelings.

"Honey, not that I don't want to. You're really great at training. I even saw you pinning Clint and Sam when you spar with them. But I want to protect you. I don't want you to get hurt."

"I'm already a teenager now, mama. Even Peter is an Avenger." You whined.

"Did you just compare your normal human body with him who has superpowers?" Natasha frowned.

"So what? You are normal too, uncle Tony, uncle Clint-"

"Y/n-" Her voice started to get firm.

"I know uncle Tony made a suit for me since I was a kid, so what's stopping me? I don't want to be a useless being when my family goes to fight with the bad guys and I just stay at home doing homework." You added and Natasha started to feel that you were challenging her patience.

She took a deep breath, "No y/n. For the time being, no. I have a lot of enemies from my past. Your uncle Tony, uncle Steve, they all have enemies of their own. We've been keeping your identity for so long now. It's to keep you safe. You even knew what happened to Cassie right when uncle Scott's enemies knew about his family?"

Natasha said strictly and she was furious. She never saw you acting like this before. You were always being her sweetest little girl.

This was the first time she ever faced what other parents said as a teenager phase where they started to feel like they could do anything against the world.

"I'm tired of this whole secret thing! I want to be free. My friends are always mocking me saying I don't have parents. They bullied me. I ignore them because I remember what you said. But I'm hurt on the inside. I don't want to make you worry so I just pretend that I'm okay in front of you. But for real, I'm not-" You yelled, releasing all the things that you'd been keeping for so long.

Natasha felt like a bullet went through her heart. She was too stunned to speak.

Silence hit the room. Your eyes were getting red and blurry as you tried to hold your tears. You felt guilty as you never yelled at her like that.

Natasha walked towards you and immediately pulled you into her chest, "I'm sorry little one. I'm too busy to realize what you have been through. But please listen to me baby. It's for your own good. I don't want to lose you. Even thinking of it makes my heart break." She said and hugged you tightly as her eyes were full of tears too.

You put your arms around her and cried hard in her chest. You loved her so much that you couldn't argue with her for too long.

She brought you back to your room. Steve and Bucky saw both of you but Natasha just shook her head to them. They both nodded at her, understanding that you needed your time alone.

"I'm sorry mama. I shouldn't yell at you." You said with a wobbly tone.

"It's okay sweetheart. I'm the one that should apologize to you. I love you so much." She kissed your forehead and leaned her forehead against yours.

Posted on 7th December 2021

Edited on 16th April 2023