17: The coronation

Start from the beginning

" Kuvira, rise ! For your service to the realm, I would like to present you with the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom, our nation's highest honor, which was somehow not stolen, unlike the royal pinky rings. " The man gave the metal to the Great Uniter.

" Thank you. And if you don't mind, I would like to say a few words. " The metal bender asked.

" Why not ? We've got six hours to fill ... " The king commented being annoyed.

Kitiara and Baatar exchanged a peek before concentrating back to Kuvira.

" Growing up in Zaofu, with Suyin Beifong, I learned that the idea of a royal family passing a title from one generation to the next was archaic, and that technology and innovation should be what drives a nation forward. It was the pathetic rule of kings and queens that caused the Earth Kingdom to descend into such incredible disarray. It's taken me three years to get it back on track, and there is no way I will allow it to slip back into the dark ages. I'd like to make an announcement to the world: the Earth Kingdom is no more. And from here on out, this man has no authority. " The people gasped in surprise hearing her words.

" Wait, what? But I just got the royal brooch ! " Wu defended pointing at his brooch.

" I have created a new Earth Empire, and I will continue to lead it into the future myself, bringing about a new era of prosperity for my people. " Kuvira continued.

" We love you, Kuvira ! All hail the Great Uniter ! " The crowed shouted.

The commander's eyes fell on Bolin who had a worried look on his face as he was applauding halfheartedly.

" And let me assure my fellow leaders of one thing: " Kuvira grabbed the metal that King Wu had hung around her neck, pulling it off with a fast movement and breaking the ribbon before bending the metal in it and letting it hovering over her hand.

" Anyone who crosses our borders or stands in our way, will be crushed. " And she did it. She crushed the metal and let it fall on the floor.

"Thank you, Kuvira ! All hail the Great Uniter ! " The crowed cheered while the leaders were shotting worried gazes to each other.

Lin and Su peeked at their children with peers of pure betrayal. Kuvira turned her back to the crowed and walked toward Kitiara and Baatar. They were the only ones who didn't show any kind of emotion hearing the news, which meant only one thing.

" They knew about this. " The officer whispered to the founder of Zaofu. Suyin's eyes closed and she supported her head with her hands knowing that her sister was right.

" Worst coronation ever. " Wu sighed in defeat.

***

" Were you surprised? Because I was really surprised. Won't this turn all the world leaders against us ? " Bolin questioned Kitiara and Varrick.

" Relax, kid, what can they do ? Kuvira controls the whole nation now, and Republic City is begging for the metal that we're mining. This train has left the station, and we own the track ! " Varrick replied watching as Zhu-Li walked in, followed by a spirit vine on a cart.

" Now that's a nice looking hunk of spirit vine ! Let's take it back to the lab and get it stabilized immediately. " Zhu-Li nodded and gestured the men pushing the cart to take it away again, and Varrick went with them.

Kuvira entered the room and gazed at Bolin, who sat uneasily in his chair, hands folded and head down.

" You look worried, Bolin. " The Great Uniter remarked.