.4

The two girls continued talking for quite a while, and getting to know each other better. After each question both girls were comfortable with each other, and the conversation seemed to flow so smoothly. After a few hours Y/n got tired, especially after the eventful day. And Ellie practically forced her to get some sleep.

So now Ellie sat alone staring out the window, both Y/n and Joel sleeping. It was dark out, and rain fell from the sky.

Y/n fell asleep on the floor, her head rested on her backpack. Ellie was completely alone with her thoughts, wich was not fun. She missed Riley, she missed her a lot. But talking with Y/n kept her mind off her, which in a way helped.

After thirty minutes of silence, Y/n suddenly sat up gasping for air. What Ellie failed to notice while she was locked up in her thoughts, was Y/n groaning and mumbling in her sleep.

"Holy shit are you okay?" Ellie asked, looking at the girl with worry.

Y/n just gulped and nodded, wiping her hand down her face "Yeah." She whispered "Just a bad dream is all."

"Nightmares are the worst." Ellie said, "Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked.

Y/n pushed herself up, and sat in the spot she had before "It's always the same, watching Joel or my mom die in front of me. And I can't do anything about it. And the way it happens is always different, being bit, or someone killing them."

Ellie frowned "I'm sorry, I know how that feels. Or how it felt." She said, "Watching someone you love die in front of you is traumatizing. Even if it's just a dream."

The two girls once more began talking, which helped Y/n get her mind off the very vivid dream. But suddenly Joel started mumbling in his sleep, which very quickly caught Y/n's attention.

"Not again." Y/n said with a sigh, knowing exactly what the dream could be about. Considering he had them all the time.

"What?"

"Joel, he has nightmares too." Y/n said, "He's told me about the old world, and what it was like. It seems better than this shit." She said.

"What was it like?" Ellie asked, "I've only heard a few things, some of them seemed too absurd."

"Well, they used to play movies on this big ass screen. And there was popcorn and snacks, and all that good shit." Y/n said, "Joel's favorite thing was the slushies, which is basically crushed up ice with flavoring." She said.

"That soumds fuckin' awesome!" Ellie gasped, "Man, why'd we have to be born into this shit." She complained with a groan.

Y/n chuckled "Cause god, or whatever higher power fucked us over." She said.

Suddenly, Joel gasped awake. Y/n looked over at him worriedly, "You mumbled in your sleep again. I hate bad dreams."

"Yeah, me too." Joel said sitting up, placing his face in the palm of his hand. He then stood and walked over to Y/n and Ellie, looking out the window as well.

"You know, I've never been this close." Ellie said, "To the outside. Look how dark it is. Can't be any worse out there. Can it?" She asked hoping off the window.

"It's probably worse." Y/n said looking out the window with a frown.

"What on earth do the Fireflies want with you?" Joel asked, as he walked to turn on a light.

The door opened, and Y/n looked over to see her mother. The girl sighed in relief, and she ran towards her mother quickly hugging her "Mom!" She exclaimed.

"Hey. Sorry it took so long. Soldiers fuckin' everywhere." Tess said hugging her daughter back, kissing the top of her head.

"How's Marlene?" Ellie asked.