Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

I haven't talked to her in two weeks either. What the hell is going on? I answer the phone and head into the guest bedroom. "Hello?" I question, confused about why the woman would be calling me. She made it very clear that she hated my guts. Well, she didn't... I just assumed she did. "Hey... sorry are you busy?"

I smile in response, "No, never. What's up?"

"I really hate to ask this especially with what happened between us. Uh, my parents want me to visit them and you of all people know I really don't get along with them. So I was calling to ask if you could accompany me." 

My brows raise in surprise. "R-really? When?" I question. "Next weekend. If you're busy with your girlfriend, I totally understand. It's just you're the only one who really knows my relationship with them. I would ask Beth but she's going to be busy."

I smile again, "No girlfriend. But yeah, I can totally do that. It's the least I can do for being a bad girlfriend to you. I'll book my flight tonight."

Silence rolls in for a few seconds. Pulling the phone away, I check to see if she hung up but she didn't. I place the device back to my ear. "You weren't a bad girlfriend, Lex. Yeah, we can both agree you did something stupid but I can't be mad at you for that. In case you're wondering, I do forgive you and I want to be friends. And I really miss you."

"You have no idea how hard I'm smiling right now, Lana. I miss you too and thank god you want to be friends. I thought you hated my guts."

The girl laughs, "I did at first but, when you love someone you go for it, right? Melani would be lucky to have you." I groan at the mention of Melani causing her to chuckle again, "What happened this time? I feel the stories about her never end."

I nod my head in agreement, "She left again for two weeks!"

"You mean I could've been dating you this whole time? Wow, tell me next time, I'll totally come over and give..."

I laugh, "No, finish your sentence."

She chuckles, "Maybe another time, Lexi. I'll see you next weekend, don't forget. I'll seriously hate you if I have to go alone." 

"I promise I won't forget. I'll put it on my calendar. I'll be there." We say a few more words before she ends the call. Smiling, I turn towards the door, not really surprised to find Melani standing against the door frame. She eyes me for a few seconds, "Who were you on the phone with?" she questions.

My brows raise, "Like that's any of your business," I tilt my head to the side. She chuckles, glances behind her before entering the room and closing the door behind her. "What do you want Mel?" I question. 

"To talk. The last time we saw each other, you kissed me."

I clear my throat, "I did. Your point?"

The woman rolls her eyes as she smiles, "I figured we could talk about it. What does it mean for us? Our future? Are you with the idea of getting back together or not?"

I sigh, eyeing the woman. "I kissed you because I... I wanted to. I don't know what it means for our future. You don't know how to answer your phone, you up and leave without a word. I don't know if I can be in a relationship where I can't talk to my partner. Communication is key, Melani."

She nods her head, approaching me. "And I'm sorry. I'm used to being able to go places and not having to tell anyone where I'm heading. I know that doesn't excuse me for ignoring your texts and calls, I was just so confused. And I thought if I try to wrap my head around it, I wouldn't be focused on why I was there."

"Are you saying I'm a distraction?"

Smiling, she grabs my hands. "You are such a lovely distraction, Alexis Johnson. One that I would like to date."

"And how do you know I'm not in a relationship with Alanna?" I question. The woman rolls her eyes, "She's a sweet girl, pretty even but I knew when you kissed me that that relationship wasn't going to last much longer."

I furrow my brows, displeased with her confidence. "As tempting as it is to finally be your girlfriend, I would have to postpone that relationship. I love you, Melani but I can't lie to myself about not loving her as well."

The woman groans, "Didn't we see first hand how this worked out for Logan? She ended up with Callie. So that means you'll end up with me."

I pull my hand away from hers, running my fingers through her short dark hair. "Logan was never in love with Claire. She loved her. She was... is in love with Callie. It's a different story for me because I am still in love with you but I'm also in love with her. I've been with her for a while and I hold her dear in my heart."

"So what I'm hearing is, you want to be in a polyamorous relationship?"

"I didn't exactly say that, but it's not all a bad idea. I'll have to run it by Lana though." Melani chuckles, "I didn't agree to it."

"You wouldn't have suggested it if you weren't interested," I mutter placing her hands on my waist. Her eyes fall to my lips, "It is an interesting idea. But Alanna and I probably aren't compatible with that kind of relationship."

I hum, "We can ask her. Next weekend. She asked me to go with her to her parent's house in Nashville. You're coming."

The dark-haired woman frowns, "I don't think that's a good idea. What if she hates me?"

"You're like 46 years old, Melani. I didn't think you cared if someone hates you. You don't have long to live so this is like a golden ticket for you."

The woman chuckles, pushing me away, barely, "Okay fuck you. And who says I'm not living long? I've got perfect health." I nod my head, "According to Christians, God can take your life whenever he chooses. You could be dead tomorrow for all we know. So we're going and proposing the idea and hoping that she agrees because that is some sex I want to be around for," I kiss the woman, missing how sweet she felt against me.

Pulling away, Melani sighs, "I'm not really wanting to share you." 

"Either you share me or you don't have me at all. From my knowledge you still have Daisy, so if we don't get back together at least you'll still have someone to fuck."

She rolls her eyes, "You're kind of Toxic."

"Says the one who left me the day after our friends got married. Didn't text or call, hell you didn't even properly break up with me. You were just gone without a trace." The older woman eyes me, knowing that this was still a sore subject and I probably wasn't going to get over it as easily as it seems I may have. "Just try it, for me. If you don't like it, of course, that means I'll have to make up my mind but I won't lead you on and break your heart."

Sighing, the woman nods her head, "For you Alexis Johnson, anything."