xi. coccham

CHAPTER ELEVEN ─── coccham

༓࿇༓

Despite it having been years since she had her armour made for her, soon after the battle in Dunholm, it still fit snugly around her chest. She brushed the water from it as waves lapped against the side of the boat that she sat in. Uhtred stood just in front of her, the rest of the men rowing them to shore.

"We're here! Grounder ahead. Be ready," Uhtred's voice echoed across the quiet water to the other boats in the party, as Yrsa did one more double check of all of the weapons she had on her.

She leant forward, taking a deep breath in to calm herself, before looking back up at the rocky shore that was fast approaching. A hand touched her shoulder briefly, and Yrsa looked back at Sihtric, who sat with Finan.

They hit the shore with a soft thud, all of them jumping off and stalking into the woods once the boats were tied. Yrsa walked ahead of Sihtric, with Finan and Uhtred ahead of her, rolling her eyes as they began to bicker between themselves once more. 

Finan, for some reason, was still in disbelief that Sihtric and Yrsa had somehow stayed together, a topic of conversation that was consistently brought up whenever the group was within bickering distance of each other. Sihtric was scowling as he walked beside Yrsa, his temper growing as she rolled her eyes.

"She loves me." He finally cut Finan's rant off, as Yrsa chuckled and squeezed his hand tighter. "I swear, she says she loves me!"

"She would." Finan chuckled, intent on riling the man up.

"She does." Yrsa muttered, nudging Sihtric and sending him a  soft smile before looking ahead. "You're just jealous, Finan."

"What she loves is your silver." Finan ignored Yrsa, who rolled her eyes and shook her head. Sihtric tensed up next to her, but calmed as Yrsa squeezed his hand again.

"Is that the name of his cock?"

"At least he gets some without having to pay for it. How much of your wage do you waste on women, Finan?" Yrsa cut in, causing the men to ooh and chuckle as Yrsa smiled innocently at the Irishman. Sihtric smiled, giving Yrsa a good natured shove. "He's just jealous that no one likes him enough to sleep with him for free." 

"I wish that all of you would focus on killing Danes and surviving the night instead of Sihtric and Yrsa's love life." Uhtred muttered, rolling his eyes at the four of them. He did not particularly want to listen to this talk, not when he treated Yrsa as if she were his daughter. "We are the only chance the villagers have."