Chapter Thirty-seven

Start from the beginning

Once he chooses his character – a lion – and his weapon – a tank – he begins the round with them watching in silence. After a few minutes of evading and shooting asteroids, his right hand's thumb rapidly taps the big red button above the joystick. He's booted out of the game when one as large as a quarter crushes his character.

"For fuck sake!" He tosses the controller at his feet after typing in his initials – KAJ for Khalíd Asad Jafari, stands up straight, then walks toward his friends, and Manuel rises from his seat. He glances at Mary, noticing the smirk teasing her lips. "Don't say shit."

"Can you stop talking to her like that? You're being rude, and for what?" He sits between Eric and Judith, then glares at her when she scolds him.

"Who the fuck are you talking to," he asks, challenging her. Jerome rolls his eyes as the two grow heated, and Mary leans back in the seat with her arms across her chest.

"I'm talking to you," Judith answers loudly. Manuel kneels in front of the screen and lifts the controller in his hands. He sifts through the options listed. "Stop disrespecting her for no reason!"

"Can you two niggahs shut up," Xavius hesitantly asks. He chuckles nervously when they shoot him a black look, slinking into his seat as if the heat of their glares melted him.

"Tell your girl to step off, 'Rome," Khalíd orders him after rolling his eyes off his youngest brother. Manuel stops to watch the scene unfold.

"Jerome doesn't own me, nor does he control me!" Judith's stomach begins to rumble and turns from the Ipecac mixing in her bloodstream.

"Okay, let's just calm down." Eric chuckles and thrusts his palms at them in a stop gesture. "'Rome, please say something. This is technically your house, and I don't wanna overstep as a guest."

"I'm – no. She can handle herself, it seems, but if she needs my help, she can ask for it," Jerome says before crossing his arms and leaning back into his seat, staring through the arch.

"I'm fine," Mary assures her with a nervous chuckle. Her face is flushed with embarrassment at the two bickering on her behalf. Judith opens her mouth to speak to her, her eyes squinting from disbelief. Mary and Khalíd share a glance. "This is why I don't have female friends: too much drama."

Everyone but Judith and Jerome laugh. She jolts to her feet, and they watch her cross Jerome and Eric's legs, stroll around the oak-colored oval table, then speed walk to the bathroom next to the kitchen.

"Back to the game," Khalíd says, taking a deep breath. He nudges his chin upward at Manuel, who turns around at the gesture. "Pick your character."

Judith stands in front of the sink in the small bathroom and sits her trembling hands on the edges. She stares at her face, her dark browns lowering onto the visible pulsations of her heart pounding.

Her body jerks forward with a gag that makes her eyes grow wider. Her tongue and the sides of her mouth salivate as the rumbling sends acid shooting up her throat. Her stomach shoves dark brown fluid out, and it projectiles onto the sink's bowl when she gags once more.

"Are you okay," Jerome asks from the other side of the door. He leans against it with his ear so close that he can hear her incessant retching. "Are you decent?"

"Yeah." She steps aside as he pushes the door open, stepping in and shutting it afterward. He stares at the mess with surprise and confusion, then his expression softens when he sees her damp face. Her shoulders jerk forward as tears pour down her cheeks.

Jerome walks around her, sits on the toilet lid, and motions her closer with his right hand. She staggers toward the tub and sits on the edge, her eyes watery and blurry.