Chapter 19: Not So Nice to Meet You

Start from the beginning

"Are you seriously not going to say anything?" I ask him.

"What am I supposed to say?" he responds gaze fixed on the road ahead of us.

"I wasn't cheating," I say.

He briefly glances at me before he acts like he doesn't care once more. "It's not like you're my girlfriend."

His words cut through my chest and I feel like my heart had actually been punctured.

"How could I forget Mr. Olubode. My apologies." I say trying to keep a steady voice.

He sighs beside me but I ignore him and I slip on my AirPods despite the blaring radio.

Soon we're in the parking lot of an airport and I reach for the door handle.

"Wait," Isren says, placing a hand on my left knee so I would pause.

I'm only more irritated by the fact that my body responds to his touch and I yank the handle only to be disappointed.

"It's locked," he says and slowly I swallow my pride and settle back into my seat.

We could miss this entire flight for all I cared.

"I thought we were done talking?" I say at last.

"Who is he?" Isren asks ignoring my attitude -the same one he had given me.

I roll my eyes and I can tell he's starting to get irritated as well.

"Now you want to know?" I say dryly.

I watch in satisfaction as his jaw twitches.

"You're being very immature now," he states and I take even more offense because I actually was the less mature one between the two of us.

"Sorry sir, do you want to take me back home before my curfew?" I ask him and he snaps.

"For crying out loud Nimi I came to your house with a getaway planned only to see some pimply-faced boy who acted like he owned the place. How do you want me to feel?" Isren says and my hands drop from their crossed position on my torso.

I seem to be hurting everyone today.

"I'm sorry, he's just a friend. I canceled on my birthday plans and he showed up anyway." I say to him.

He nods slowly but the atmosphere is still tense around us.

"If you had plans before why did you cancel?" Isren asks and if I was pale my cheeks would be bright red right now.

"I didn't want to go in the first place," I say, omitting the part about wanting to get my first kiss asap.

"Let it not be that I'm the reason you don't hang out with your friends anymore," he says, trying to lighten the mood even though his anger hadn't quite fizzled out.

The effect of what was probably our first argument ever had taken its toll on me and it felt strange to no longer wield my words like a dagger.

"Not at all," I answer flashing him a small smile.

For a moment I glance out the window to see people hauling luggage out of their cars and I'm glad I only needed a backpack full of stuff for the trip.

"By the way Nimi, I know this may not be the best time but you don't deserve mixed signals so will you be my girlfriend?" Isren says, leaning in so I'm forced to look directly in his eyes.

I blink and move back.

"Just like that?"

His mouth hangs slightly open, and his brows furrow as mirrors my movements.

"That did not go the way I thought it would," he says to himself and I snort under my breath.

"I mean you could have done better, but yes I will oblige you the gift of my presence," I answer, elevating my shoulders for extra pomp.

"Spare us the grammar alakowe (scholar). Is it yes or no," he asks, holding my gaze.

I lean way closer than he had moved away, and it feels like we're in the car for the first time all over again.

I see him swallow visibly when his gaze drops to my lips.

Never had I been more proud that I wore my special Glossier clear gloss than today.

"Yes silly," I say to him and the corners of his lips turn upwards.

We remain frozen, and though I'm close enough to see the little coffee grains in his eyes my mind had traveled lower.

A mixture of fear and excitement swirls inside of me as I hear his next words.

"Remember what I said about the second thing you told me you wanted." He says referencing that evening in the car after our friendly date.

"I think so," I say feigning ignorance.

He smirks but continues nonetheless.

"Permission to kiss you?" he asks and I nod my head.

This quick movement makes me accidentally graze his lips and I feel a dangerous surge of electricity at the contact -the infamous spark was real after all.

He chuckles softly and I close my eyes as his hand cups my cheek.

All the nights' worth of research had abandoned me and I do nothing but part my lips.

This one time, I'm glad he's had years of experience because he easily maneuvers my awkwardness presses my lip back softly.

In five seconds it's over and I'm slightly disappointed as I expect him to pull away.

Instead, his thumbs draw soft strokes across my cheek and his fingertips brush against loose tendrils bordering my nape.

"You okay?" he asks and I give him a small nod.

My nerves had eased and I felt more confident about continuing. I had a feeling that was the effect he wanted because when I look through my lashes I see him closing the centimeter distance between us.

This time his pace is a little faster and I feel what the Bible certainly called lust in my system.

It felt like a drug and soon my hands had wrapped around his neck while he had inched closer so he could pull me by the waist.

The taut muscles through his shirt pressed against me, and the pleasure coursing through my veins as we deepen the kiss is momentarily cut off by a noise behind us.

There stood an angry tout looking like he was ready to bash some bodywork.