27

Hathor stood on one of the Palace's many balconies, looking out over Lapide. The Sun was setting, casting everything in an orange light. She sighed into the breeze. Was there anything else her mother wasn't telling her? The list seemed to be getting longer and longer. First her heritage, then Colt's identity, then the catacombs under the Academy. And that was just the major stuff. Now apparently she had an older brother. Whatever next?

She turned back to the large glass doors. Amneris and Horus sat together at a table, going over maps. Zoe was close by on the holoscreen to Mel. The others had their own work or a free evening. Horus found herself glaring at her mother and brother. They worked well together and seemed to have similar thought patterns. Amneris practically radiated with pride--

Hathor's head snapped back around to the city. Was she jealous? No, that was ridiculous. Thought it wasn't like she'd ever had competition before . . .

Okay, maybe she was a little jealous.

The door slid open. Hathor watched as Horus came to stand behind her. 

"You alright?"

"Fine."

They turned to the sunset, an air of awkwardness around them.

"We've met before," Horus eventually said. "You were a baby. Got taken before you grew up."

Hathor nodded. Yes, she knew. She'd been taken as a baby and brought forward through time, though never did find out why. She didn't know about her family until her adoptive family--a.k.a. kidnappers--told her. Even then, it wasn't until Amneris came for her that Hathor truly knew what she was, and that she was actually a very normal person. Well, until the whole immortality thing happened. She shivered. That was a memory she'd never forget.

Horus continued, "Never thought I'd see you all grown up."

"So, why didn't I know about you?" she asked.

"You know mama. Always trying to keep the pain away." 

"Pain?"

"Got only five thousand years left. Humanity sucks that way."

"Still, five thousand years is a long time. We may have run into each other eventually . . ."

"I am also the better child," he said with a triumphant grin.

Hathor rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. You've barely been here five minutes." She braced her hands on her hips. "And when was the last time you saw mum?"

He shrugged. "Don't remember. A while back. I had short hair."

"Well, I've been with her for almost two-hundred years, so how do you know you're the better child?"

"Easy, I have my own world saving experiences."

"So do I," Hathor said, crossing her arms.

"Graduated the Academy early."

"Graduated the Academy after it was attracted, destroyed and rebuilt."

"Discovered the treasure trove under the Bronze Castle."

"Found the legendary catacombs under the Academy."

"Tamed the Golden Dragon."

"Helped defeat the Dark King."

"Got a gang."

"Been there, done that."

"I'm practically a superhero in the U.F.W."

"Yeah? Well, I'm the Vessel of Time."

Horus blinked. "Shit. Seriously?" Hathor nodded. "Wow . . . Never met anyone with time magic. What's that like?"

"I've only used it twice," she admitted. "Once by accident. Second time I was forced by this magic platform thingy."

"Huh." Horus braced his arms on the balcony. "Must have some cool stories."

"Same with you. You've got four thousand years on top of me. More than that, even." Hathor smiled. "Maybe we should trade over drinks sometime."

"Sounds fun." He smiled. "You're not so bad, little sister. Should have more faith in yourself."

"I have plenty of faith." I think I do . . .

* * * * * * * *

Amneris watched the two talking from inside, chewing her pen thoughtfully. Maybe she should've told Hathy about Horus. But she hadn't seen the kid in centuries! He had his own life and she had her own. Sure, they occasionally caught up and sometimes their paths crossed, but they didn't really see each other that often. 

Horus was a tricky case. His Lyriumian and Fae genes kept him looking like a young adult but, in reality, he was halfway through his lifespan. The fault of his Human genes. Horus' lifespan was only half that of Lyriumians. Ten-thousand years, and it wouldn't start showing until well into the nine thousands. Amneris hadn't told Hathy about him exactly because of that. Well, that and the whole not seeing each other often thing. She hadn't expected them to actually meet.

Amneris blinked out of her thoughts as a mug was placed in front of her. She looked up as Colt sat across from her, holding a mug of his own.

"You need to talk to her," he said. 

"I know. I know." She waved a hand. "It's on my to-do list."

"Your to-do list, huh?"

"Oh, don't start with me." Amneris put down the pen. "You know full well there are more important things going on than me not telling my daughter things. We can cover that after Jennix is stopped." She circled the rim of her mug with a finger. "Speaking of, I have this strange feeling they're not the big bad guy. I can't explain it. It's just a theory."

A big theory. Yes, Jennix was clearly dangerous and willing to do anything to get powerful artefacts, but they were only going after certain ones. How did they know which ones to go after, specifically. Assuming Jennix really wasn't from this Creation, they wouldn't know how things in this version worked. Yet, clearly, they did. 

"Someone must be helping them . . ."

Colt frowned. "Your hunches are normally good when it comes to these things," he agreed, "but who could possibly pull off something like this, whatever this is?"

Amneris smiled grimly. "When the power of the Eternal Core is on the line, there's only one person I can think of."

"Please tell me you are joking."

"Oh, I wish I was."

Silence.

"Assuming you are right, this could be a problem," Colt said.

Amneris sighed. "Nothing we haven't dealt with before. I'm sure things will work out in the end." 

Probably.