7. The Boy Who Lived

Start from the beginning

"Severus?" she whispered.

She didn't really want to disturb him, but she didn't want to leave the premises without telling him either.  Besides, she needed him.  Alaina had no idea where the markets were.  Heck, she didn't even know where she was really.  The place was foreign to her.  Even Godric's Hollow, the place where she grew up, was strange to her.  She didn't know where the market was there either.  She had spent most of her time in and out of St. Mungo's than she had picking up groceries with her Mum at the supermarket.

Severus didn't seem to stir at the sound of her voice like she hoped he would.  Alaina sighed.  She would have to go a little closer, maybe speak a little louder.  She was just worried about scaring him more than anything.  He was probably as tired as she had been after he broke down like he had the night before.

The closer she got to him, the more handsome she found him to be.  His black hair was long, down to his shoulders, and shiny.  There was a little indention in his forehead, probably from frowning so much.  His skin was sallow and his nose was hooked, but neither of those things made him look unpleasant.  It was the first time she had really noticed him up close.  He was a good-looking guy.

Alaina bent down, only inches away from his face this time.  She gulped.  "Severus."

His eyes flew open instantly.  There was someone in his room.  Alaina jumped back.  Some part of her was still scared of him a little in some ways.  Even though she had seen the more human side of him more than once and he had told her out of his mouth he was on the right side now, it didn't mean he couldn't change his mind at any given moment.  He was a Death Eater.  Her eyes widened as he lifted his arm and raked his fingers through his hair.  She noticed the skull on his forearm right away.  It was the Dark Mark.  She had only read about them in her studies and heard whispers in the hospital when someone would mention Voldemort's followers, but she had never actually seen one before.

Severus noticed her looking and hurriedly put his arm down.  She cast her eyes toward the floor.  He sat upright and rubbed his eyes.  He hadn't been asleep more than two hours.  "Alaina, is something wrong?"

"Uh, no.  I just-  Well, Harry is hungry and there was nothing particularly baby-friendly in the refrigerator," she answered softly.  "We were supposed to go to Hogwarts today."

He frowned.  "Of course.  I nearly forgot.  The child does need to eat I suppose.  We'll get him something at the school though.  What time is it?"

She mentally recalled the time from her glance at the clock on the wall when Harry had woken her up.  "It's ten now I think."  It had been almost ten when she started her search for him.

He nodded.  "We'd better get going then."

Alaina backed up toward the door.  "I'll let you get dressed now."

Severus down at the bed and realized for the first time that he was somewhat exposed.  He pulled the covers up to cover his chest.  "Forgive me, Alaina.  I would have covered up sooner."

"Don't worry about it," she said with a smile.  "I didn't really pay much attention."  She knew that was lie.  She had paid a lot of attention, but she didn't want him to feel self conscious.

"Thank you for waking me.  How did you find my room?"

"Process of elimination.  You have a very nice work room by the way.  You're interested in potions, I gather?"

"Yes, I am.  Highly.  I'm the Potions Master at Hogwarts now."

"Wow.  I didn't know.  I thought I would wake you in case you had forgotten that Harry and I were here.  Last night and early this morning was pretty tough on all of us."