Before Nanaba could say anything further, Silica pushed passed her toward the house, and swallowed the lump in her throat as she hurried inside. The basket she held fell to the floor as soon as the door was shut behind her, and she clasped a silencing hand over her mouth as she choked on a sob. A rush of overwhelming anxiety pushed the tears through her sealed eyelids, and she did all she could not to disrupt Amelia, whom was upstairs with Levi.

Her heart pounded incessantly in her chest with the fear of putting her trust in a woman who shattered her's for the man she thought she loved, and as she threaded her fingers through her dark hair, she couldn't help but sink to the floor as she broke down, and for a good while, she just left herself silently cry.

However, little did she know, Levi stood out of sight at the top of the stairs, his chest tight with angry guilt for the pain Mike has caused her.

__________

Silica laid on the couch later that night with a book in her lap. Duke slept on the floor beside her, and Levi and Amelia had turned in for the night upstairs. She absently twirled a strand of her hair in her fingers as she read, and smiled to herself as her baby turned in her belly.

It felt as if all her worries melted away with every flutter her child created inside her, and she sighed gently as she closed her book.

As she moved to place her hands on her moving stomach, the sound of a brief knock on her door made her look up. Her brow rose in confusion, as she wasn't expecting any visitors, and slowly rose from her seat to peek out of the window beside the door with Duke following close behind her.

Once seeing that it was Erwin standing on her doorstep, she quickly moved to open the door.

"Silica," he smiled warmly at her. She felt her heart skip a beat. "I apologize for the late visit, but I have something I would like to discuss with you."

"Oh, uh..." she trailed off briefly and stepped to the side to let him in. "Sure."

Erwin smiled again and stepped inside, and turned to Silica as she shut the front door behind him. She motioned for him to sit down as she did, and he obliged by seating himself on the armchair beside the sofa.

"Mike paid me a visit today," Erwin started as he leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. Silica's brow rose in surprise, however Erwin didn't seem phased by it. "In regards to you."

"What the hell for?" Silica questioned incredulously.

"He informed me of your agreement with him seeing the baby," he continued calmly. "And that you wished to speak with Nanaba before you considered the two living together."

"Cut to the chase, Erwin." Silica frowned. Erwin smiled a third time.

"He said that since you were allowed to speak your conditions with Nanaba, that it would only be fair to speak his, with me." Erwin finally locked eyes with Silica, and she felt her breath catch in her throat.

"Wh-why would he feel the need to do that?" She couldn't help her stutter.

"I believe he has noticed our connection." Erwin replied simply.

"Well..." she said quietly. "What did he say?"

"He was concerned with my intentions with you," he said whilst lacing his fingers together. "And simply asked that I make sure that I plan on sticking around for you... and the baby, if we choose to get serious."

Silica let out a loud sigh and stood up with one hand brushing her hair out of her face and the other plastered to her hip.

"I'm sorry for that, Erwin," she said. "I don't know what gave him the idea to do that. I'll hunt him down and talk to him about it tom —"

"Silica," Erwin cut her off as he too stood up. He took her hand and she felt her spine straighten. "There's no need to apologize. I plan on being here regardless of what we choose. I care too much for you to let anything stand in the way of that."

He squeezed her hand as he spoke, and Silica found herself speechless at his words. A silence settled between them, and as Silica stared at him, she felt her shoulders relax and returned the tight grip he had on her fingers.

"You look tired," he said quietly whilst using his free hand to cup her cheek. "You should get some rest."

"But..." she tried to find an excuse for him to stay, but when she found none, Erwin brushed her hair back and planted a soft kiss on her forehead.

"I'll see you again soon, Silica," he said gently. Silica could feel her cheeks getting red. "I promise."

Silica could only nod in response, and silently followed Erwin to the door. She leaned against the doorframe as she walked him out, and watched him as he slowly trekked down the porch steps.

"Goodnight, Erwin." She called as he approached his horse.

She felt her chest tighten as he turned to smile at her one last time, and found herself breathless at the sight of Erwin with the moonlight reflecting off of his bright blue eyes. He offered her a wave of farewell, and she watched him longingly as he rode off back to HQ.

She stood there with the door open for sometime before she felt Duke's wet nose against her leg, and finally found it within herself to shut and lock the door for the night.

And, just as she always did, she took Erwin's advice and finally went to sleep.