The Copycat Mansion

Start from the beginning

Duplica showed the group her costume room. Ari saw many iconic costume pieces, and just as many common clothing styles. Ari wondered if Duplica had copied her outfit so easily because she had plain taste.
Eevee's tail wagged frantically at the thought of playing dress-up. Ari thought she heard Misty squeal.
Duplica demonstrated a Nurse Joy disguise, followed by a flawless Officer Jenny. "My name is Jenny, and you're under arrest for Pokémon poaching!"
Eevee burst out laughing.
Misty clapped. "Great imitation!"
"It doesn't capture the more adult charm of the real Joy and Jenny," Brock said.
Misty and Ari shared an embarrassed glance.
"With my costumes, I can imitate anybody!" Proclaimed Duplica.
Ari figured Duplica would work well at Interpol. The thought didn't lift her spirits; she realised that Duplica had talents outside of being a Trainer.
Ari realised she was a one-trick Ponyta. Was that why her mother had told her not to worry about Team Rocket - because she wasn't good for anything but a Pokémon Battle?
Ari stared out the window, wondering where her mama was now, and what she should be doing to help.
Brock noticed her melancholic state. "You shouldn't let losing to Ditto bring you down, Ari. Its power would catch anyone off-guard."
Ari responded with a partial truth. "I just can't believe I lost to a big fake."
"Better than the real one," Misty said. Upon an eyebrow raise from Brock, she amended, "Don't think of it as a fake, Ari. It was a real Bulbasaur with real, equal power."
"And Duplica must've studied a lot to learn about each different Pokémon's attacks," Brock said.
Duplica blushed. "I just want to be a Ditto Master - and a big star. You see, I started this Imite House because I like to imitate Pokémon. This area is so flat and boring, but people pass through all the time. I thought when they stopped here for a rest, I could entertain them. It would be perfect practice for making the entire world smile. The only trouble is that Ditto hasn't been able to fix this weird problem that keeps its face from Transforming the right way. Ditto tries its hardest, but always keeps its real face... I think its charming. But," she shuddered, "when people watch Ditto, they don't want to see an imperfect Transformation."
Ari realised training a Ditto was tougher than she'd initially thought. Before she could express this sentiment, the lights went out.

No prizes for guessing the culprit!
Team Rocket rose from beneath the stage - or, perhaps, their graves, since they never seemed to stay down.
"What a touching story." Meowth sobbed, though his eyes were full of mirth.
Ari feigned surprise at the criminal's appearance - undeniable proof she had potential as an actress.
"Who are you?" Said Duplica.
"Prepare for trouble!" Jessie said.
James followed. "And make it double!"
"To protect the world from devestation."
"To unite all-,"
"Show's over," Ari snapped. "Time to go back home."
"Quiet, young twerp. We're not interested in your Eevee today," Jessie sniffed.
James added, "We're here for..."
"... That Ditto!" Meowth lunged as he spoke, grabbing Ditto.
"It's time for action, Weezing!" James unleashed the Poison Gas Pokémon, who covered the stage before anybody could react. When the Smokescreen cleared, the dastardly trio had vanished.

Recuperating in their hideout, it took a little while for the reality to sink in for Jessie, James, and Meowth; their scheme had actually succeeded! Was it Opposite Day?
"We can take our names off the loser's list, and write them in the winning column!" James rejoiced.
Meowth said, "I'll be the boss's top cat again."
Ditto's Transform would make them unbeatable - and it could replicate rare species of Pokémon. Surely, this was a Pokémon Giovanni would want for Operation R.
"Little Ditto, we have a favour to ask you." Jessie showed Ditto a Dratini picture from a Fuchsia City newspaper - something about some old man finding one again after decades. "Transform into this, and you'll make a handsome gift."
Ditto Transformed... but its face was all wrong. Jessie, James, and Meowth laughed hysterically, before realising what this meant.
Their specimen was flawed.
"That's your idea of a Transformation?!" Jessie stormed.
Ditto Transformed into Meowth, but the problem persisted.
Ari, Misty, Brock, and Duplica burst in, inexplicably trailed by spotlights (as if they were the main characters, or something).
The twerps did the unthinkable.
The unforgivable.
They infringed upon Team Rocket's copyright.
They wore their uniforms... and said their motto.
"Prepare for trouble!"
"On it double!"
"To protect the world from devestation."
"To ignite all people within our nation-",
James exploded. "It's unite, not ignite!"
"You shouldn't be surprised they're getting it wrong. They hardly hear the thing," Meowth reasoned.
"The point is, stop imitating us!" James wailed.
"This is insulting!" Said Jessie. "How did you even find us?"
"The balloon with Meowth's face right outside the door," Ari said dryly.
Duplica said, "We're taking Ditto back now!"
"No way!" Protested both Meowths. They were indistinguishable.
"I can't tell which one is which!" Brock said.
Jessie capitalised on the chance to heal her ego. "Ditto finally perfected its art under the expert care of Team Rocket."
By which she meant threats.
Duplica started shedding tears. "I've tried everything to get Ditto to imitate faces... I suppose you did Ditto a favour."
Water leaked from Jessie and James's eyes. "That's so beautiful!" It felt so... fulfilling to help. It was almost like good was more rewarding than evil.
Unable to compute such complicated emotions, Team Rocket handed one Meowth back and entered their balloon.
"Good luck with Ditto!" They called.
Without warning, Duplica punted her Meowth at the departing balloon. "That's not Ditto!"
The screaming Meowth landed safely in the balloon's basket.
"How could you tell? It was a perfect Transformation?" James was in disbelief.
"I wouldn't be much of a Trainer if I couldn't recognise my own Ditto!"
"Dimwits! How'd you mess that up!" Meowth cursed. He hadn't realised the plan would've meant abandoning him with his mortal enemies.
Jessie pressed a button, unveiling a cannon beneath the balloon. "We're going to win after all!"
Ditto Transformed into a cannon itself. It out-cannoned Team Rocket's cannon, blasting them into the sky, proving that Team Rocket were destined to never take a win.

Duplica and Ditto put on a show for the group, copying them and each of their Pokémon. As they left, they promised to spread word of the House of Imite.
Ari intended to fulfill that. Duplica would've lost Ditto without Ari and her friends. Instead, they became stronger.
Every journey had a purpose, Ari released. She didn't have to be her mother.
She found renewed joy in Eevee's comfort atop her head as the group continued towards Saffron City, site of the next Gym Badge.