Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"All of them are disgusted with you," Divina sneered while Ashley opened an eye. It didn't even seem like she could figure out who they actually were. No glasses meant she could barely see anything.

"Can't you just give up?" Ashley snapped, her voice raspy.

Divina's laugh was jarring before she lifted Ashley's face toward her. "Never," she said, dropping her and dragging her out of the infirmary.

"Yeah, no way I'm going near her," Bella finally said.

It wasn't Ashley, but Divina. She was tortured with broken limbs and a burned face that barely seemed like one.

"Whom are we gathering?" Cindy asked, trying to avoid what had just happened.

"Well, Esme should probably be there also," Jason breathed out a sigh. Where on earth would she even be? Running through the field and, quite possibly, skidding.

"I'll try and bop around to find her," Cindy implied, disappearing from the infirmary. Jason knew this meeting had to happen to inform Greyson setting up any traps.

"I think Greyson wants this for his ego or show. Either way, it's important that we inform." Jason sighed.

They followed him up the stairs toward the small church. Just as the same place when everything had been in order. Zane was already standing there, looking around.

"The holes have been filled," he stated before Jason could say anything. They walked toward the front of the altar, as he stood up. "As if they had never been there. We checked the majority of them and discovered they had been filled."

"What's going on?" Ilya asked, coming inside with Teagan behind her.

Not much later, Nelson appeared and took a seat up front. Bella sat in the middle pew beside Emma and Teagan. Most took a seat as Esme came speeding in. Ice appeared, making her slip and slide down the aisle. Jason faced Jade, who was dressed in leggings and a long-sleeve shirt with her hair up.

Esme got onto her feet as the ice melted in the narrow aisle. Cindy then appeared in the middle of the aisle, seeming surprised to see Esme and Jade.

"Okay, I think everyone is here," Jason said, looking around.

Zane, Mark, and Nelson sat on the left side. Esme, Jade, and Cindy sat on the right. Jason stood up front, looking around at those gathered.

"I know this seems strange or sudden, but I have to warn you." Jason sighed. "Greyson has challenged me to a fight before we vanish on May 18th. I'm not sure if it's ego or just to fight."

"I had three guys break in the other day," Nelson implied.

Are more people trying to steal or destroy Burger King? McDonald's may be better, but something still seemed off.

"They got away with a box of lettuce and ditched the one guy. Devon is tied up with a hose in the men's washroom," Nelson said.

"That idiot deserves it," Esme laughed, looking toward Jade.

"Will the children be okay?" Ilya asked, seeming tense about the sound of everything.

"I think he just wants to fight me. Mark said that he suspects something else might happen, but doesn't know what," Jason remarked, feeling tense himself.

What would happen if Greyson came earlier than expected? He probably would have some plan that might involve them fighting earlier just to weaken his strength.

"We know they have people with these strange powers," Jason said, looking over toward Esme, Jade, and Cindy. "Mostly, Greyson, Maverick, and Preston are the ones to worry about. Eden if you have some Catholic beliefs."