Chapter 8

The only sounds that could be heard in the quiet office were footsteps, clicking on various keyboards, and the constant chime of the elevator as people entered and exited the floor. No other sound could have been heard as the work day continued on peacefully.

When the day ended, I didn't waste any time to grab my things and leave. Even though they had been warned about bringing up Noel, I still couldn't shake the feeling of everyone's eyes on me. The stares felt hostile compared to before and the idea of facing that sensation head on made me sick.

Reaching my car, the uneasy feeling became worse after I entered the parking lot. I attempted to open the car door as my body ran cold and hands began to shake, fumbling my keys. 

The feeling of a presence slowly approached and caused me to freeze. My keys fell to the floor as the sound of their footsteps got closer. I quickly rushed to grab them but the sight of black boots blocked them from me.

There was a deep breath before they spoke. "Are you avoiding me?" She asked, confused.

I shot up and looked at her hurt expression, "No, no! What made you think that Ace?"

She placed her hands onto her hips, moving her leather jacket out of the way, "You never called me back! I've been chasing and calling after you since you left the building and you didn't even acknowledge me. On top of that, I haven't seen anyone from the group today. I went to the red floor but you, Noel, and Pam were gone. I can never find the rest of them so I didn't even try looking and Becca always ignores me during work so I didn't try talking to her, but once the day finished she disappeared."

I rubbed my forehead slowly before checking to see if anyone was around. Seeing that the coast was clear, I leaned close to her and quietly said, "I don't know if you'll get in trouble if we talk about this. Jen gave a direct order that we're not supposed to talk about it with others. We should talk about this at my place when everyone's ready."

"So you can't just tell me the short version of what happened the other day?"

"Ace, I don't think it's a good idea."

"Whatever you tell me, I'll be fine. Trust me. It can't be as bad as the insane rumors."

"I don't k-"

"Why am I the only one from the group that doesn't know what exactly happened? That's not really fair."

"It's not about being fair. I can't-"

"Just tell me! Please, V. You really want me to wait for everyone? Can I at least get a warning of what I'll be walking into?"

I sighed and quickly looked around. I can't just leave her in the dark about this, she was close with him too. She was supposed to be there with us when it happened. She does deserve to know.

Her hand waved in front of my wandering eyes, "Hello, you there?"

I nodded and closed my eyes. "Noel disappeared," I muttered.

"I couldn't hear you, what?" She leaned closer to me, bringing her ear to my lips.

"Noel disappeared," I repeated slowly.

She backed up and began laughing uncontrollably. She held her stomach as she bent over from the pain, "You're kidding! There's no way! That kid would never-"

She finally looked up at me and noticed that my face hadn't changed from its serious state. Her smile dropped into a frown as her eyes tried to read my expression.

"You- no! He can't. He wouldn't. I-" 

A single tear escaped from her eyes before she turned around and raised her arms to her head.