It had felt so real, but it couldn't have been. Still, I cling to the memory of those images, no matter what they are, and allow unconsciousness to pull away at me.

---

The sound of other people breathing made me hesitant to reveal myself right away and break the peaceful silence around us.

The room we were in was cold, but the thin sheet placed over my body kept me from freezing completely. Distant chatter from the hallway reached my ears as random people passed, their voices carrying from under the door. The only other sound was the subtle beep of a machine that tracked my heartbeat.

When I do open my eyes, I'm met with the same hospital room from earlier. Though, it's much darker now as the lights are turned off and the blinds are shut. I'm not sure what time of day it is, but judging by the two passed-out teenagers next to me, it was late.

Scott was on my right, his head bowed awkwardly as he slept upright in one of the rickety hospital chairs. At the foot of my bed was Stiles. He was in a chair, too, but his legs were propped up on my bed. He was completely stretched out, and his mouth hung open as he drooled onto the floor. I smile at his ability to find comfort anywhere.

I wasn't sure how long it had been since everything happened with the Berserker. My memory wasn't clear, nor were my senses. I could make out scattered pieces of a weird yet wonderful dream, but nothing more than that.

I try to sit up but hiss in pain when the movement tugs at my injury. Scott jolts awake in response. He's out of his chair in a second, coming to my aid.

"Here, let me help."

He places his hands on my lower back, assisting my efforts. He props me up on my cluster of pillows, even going so far as to fluff them up before pulling back. The pressure helps to relieve some of the stingings that come from where my wound resides.

"Thanks, Scott," I say gratefully.

He nods as he drags his chair closer to the bed, watching me with a patient expression. He's waiting for me to speak first, probably sure I have tons of questions. I do, but only one truly comes to mind at the moment.

"We didn't catch them, did we?" I ask about the Benefactor, though, I already know the answer.

If the plan had worked, we should've been popping champagne, celebrating that sick maniac being put behind bars. Instead, we were here, just as lost as we were a week ago.

Scott shakes his head and forces a supportive grin.

"No, but that's not important right now," he says, both of us pretending not to notice the strain of stress beneath his smile.

"What about Noshiko? Is she alright?" I add anxiously, remembering that she was in bad shape, too. Her power had dwindled after facing the Nogitsune, and her healing abilities weren't what they used to be.

"Yeah, they airlifted her out to Palo Alto. She was okay enough to make the trip. Kira went with her," Scott says, making me sigh in relief. We hadn't accomplished what we set out to do, but at least we were all still in one piece.

Well, for the most part.

The memory of Liam having to carry my dying body in his arms makes me flinch. My chest tightened, the sensation of longing filling me as I desired nothing more than to tell him I was okay and see the brightness of hope return to his eyes.

"And Liam, is he okay? Is he here?" I ask. I don't care to hide the desperation in my voice. The only thing I did care about was seeing Liam again, pride be damned.