Chapter Thirty-six

Start from the beginning

"I came to – apologize." Sheryl raises a brow as Stevie storms to the house's second floor. Jerome's heavy breaths run down her neck, lifting her tiny strands of hair with goosebumps.

"Youngblood, do you need some water," Rembrandt asks, and he nods. He scoots his chair away from the table, stands to his feet, then walks toward them. Jerome follows him to the sink.

"Go on," Sheryl ushers her and Judith clears her throat. Rembrandt prepares a glass of tap water for him as they speak.

"After talking with my friend, I realized that I was wrong to speak to you the way that I did," she tells her, her voice monotonous. "I let my emotions get the best of me, and after being away from home, I realized that you care about all of us, and maybe I can be a bit – irrational. I'm sorry."

They stare at each other before she lowers her focus on her granddaughter, and says, "You're forgiven, but I hope you know that you'll be staying home for the rest of this weekend, and whatever plans you had for Halloween, are done."

Judith's eyes grow wide, and her jaw drops. Jerome rushes to her side with his half glass of water in hand, and Rembrandt returns to the table.

"Mrs – um," Jerome stops himself and looks at her for help. Sheryl looks at him and narrows her eyes.

"Jefferson," Judy grumbles, folding her arms. Rembrandt crosses his arms once he's back in his seat.

"Okay, Mrs. Jefferson, before I say anything, my name is Jerome Berks, and I live up the street close to the exit; I'm a friend of hers from campus," he introduces himself with a smile that she doesn't copy. "Anyway, I have a tournament soon, and I could use her support."

"When is it," she asks, void of emotion. Like Wayne's wife, Fiona, she's unimpressed by the stranger in her kitchen.

"Tomorrow." Judith's brother and sister-in-law share a glance. He notices Sheryl's eyes narrowing at him. "I know that it's soon, but this could be the opportunity of a lifetime for me. This will be televised and the winners take home a boatload of money. Could she please tag along with me and a few friends to train?"

"Be back before the streetlights come on. Otherwise, you'll be locked out," Sheryl warns her daughter while looking at her, then she returns her gaze to him. "You both can leave."

"Okay, when do my glasses come in," Judith asks. "I know they have to be fixed, but I haven't gotten an update on that in a while."

"You should have your old pair on Tuesday or Monday," Sheryl assures her. Jerome walks toward the sink. He chugs the last of the water before sitting it with the rest of the dishes.

"Okay. Thank you, Mom," she says, then speed walks with him out of the house. Judith sees Vera cruising down the cul-de-sac with a tan-skinned girl upon reaching the porch, both on skateboards.

"Thanks for helping me back there." Her shoulders slump forward so her head can hang, and when she smiles, though her brows show distress, she does so without looking at him. They walk down the steps. "I know she can be a little intimidating, but I'm glad you were able to, like, actually talk for me. You know?"

"As flattering as that is, I'm not your translator," he reminds her, and she narrows her eyes at him. They walk along the sidewalk with him at the edge of the road.

"Why're you being so rude all of a sudden," she asks, her tone high and full of misery. "Are you upset because I tried to kiss you? I apologized for that."

"No, it's not that, Judy," he tells her. He draws in a breath to continue, but she interjects.

"So you are upset?" Her voice cracks as if she's about to cry. Jerome rolls his eyes onto the car driving out of the cul-de-sac.