Chapter 22

Finally after 3 days, our long journey running away from home was over. The bus stopped at the dingy station in New York. The bus driver nearly pushed us off the bus herself. After 3 days with Big Hero 6 playing constantly on full volume, I don't blame her.

"I'm just telling you now Michael, I am never ever ever ever watching that movie again." As soon as those words were out of my mouth, Michael gave me a pouty face. "How are you not sick of it?"

"Um for one thing its the best movie thats ever been made." He says matter-of-factly. I roll my eyes and ignore him. We walk down the aisle between the seats after grabbing our bags. 

"Thanks for getting us here!" I tell the driver and wave at her. She just stared at me and made some kind of disapproving noise.

Michaels pulls me off the bus, "Bitch." He mutters under his breath. We walk into the station and Michael heads straight towards the little shop selling cheesy New York souveniers.

"J! Lets look like stereotypical New York tourists and get a couple of these 'I love New York' tshirts! Oh and some of these Statue of Liberty foam headbands!" he runs over and picks two up.

"Michael, no. I'm not going to look like an idiot." He ignores my comment and pays the tiny old man for the t-shirts and headbands. He walks back over to where I was standing and gives me the new purchases.

"Here, put these on so we can match." He says. Obviously he isn't going to give up anytime soon.

"No. I refuse to look like an idiot."

He just shrugs, "Then I guess we will be matching idiots." He smiles. I can't resist his cute little smile so I cave and pull the shirt over my head. "Uh uh. You can't forget the hat."

"Ugh. I hate you." I say and throw the hat on.

"Nope. You love me." Michael grabs my hand and leads me outside where immediately there were food vendors waiting for tourists like us to come through. "Yes! Food! I'm starving." He walks to three different vendors and comes back with a hotdog, a pretzel, and a slice of pizza.

"You aren't seriously going to eat all that?" I glance at the pile of greasy food. He nods, his mouth already full of cheesy pizza. "Ok." 

We sit find a bench to sit on while Michael finishes up his food. Which he surprisingly did in about 3 minutes. "Ok so where do we begin?" He says when he has swallowed the last bite of the hot dog.

"I don't know." Without thinking I power my phone back on and go to Safari. I search things to do in New York and a couple of tour guides come up. I click on one and scroll through. "So I guess we should start by going to Times Square. And then just go wherever we what. Maybe hit a couple of museums, the Statue of Liberty. Apparently we can't go to a Broadway show because we would have had to buy tickets way in advance." I read out from the webpage. 

"Sounds cool to me. Lets get started." He gets up and we head down the side walk towards Times Square. The bus station isn't that far so it shouldn't take us too long.

So for the rest of that day we wandered around New York City. We took taxis, we saw the Statue of Liberty, and we probably stopped for pizza more than a couple of times. When it was getting late and it was dark outside, we decided it was time to find somewhere to sleep.

"How much money do we have left?" Michael asks me. I count through the bills and find that we don't have much.

"About $85." I shake my head. Not only do we need to find somewhere to sleep tonight but we will need some way to get home. 

"Thats not good." Michael says quite obviously.

"Its all that pizza you ate Michael. I'm think we spent about $50 dollars on pizza and $75 on those stupid souveniers you wanted to keep buying." I yell.

"Hey! You bought like $90 worth of records at the music store! This isn't all my fault." He points at the bag I'm carrying. It was full of old records that we found in this cool record store somewhere in the city. I didn't regret my purchases one bit. But he was right, both of us spent way too much money.

"I say we spend what we have on a night for a hotel and then figure out how to get home tomorrow." He offers. I guess we didn't really have a choice. I nod in agreement.

After about an hour of wandering around again, we found a place that would give us a room for $60 bucks a night, leaving us about twenty dollars to get home.

The creepy guy at the counter took forever to get our room ready so we stood in the lobby for half an hour waiting on him. When he came back down we walked over to the counter to get our key. The dude kept staring at me and all I wanted to do was get away from this place. I'm not sure if I could stay here all night long.

Michael gives my hand a reassuring squeeze as if sensing my discomfort. The guy finally hands us the key and sends us upstairs. 

We open the door and and walk in our new home for the night. The bed takes up more than half the room and there is one little light hanging from the ceiling. There was no tv and I'm pretty sure there was no bathroom.

"Oh my god. Michael what did we just get ourselves into?" I ask. I wanted run as far as I could from this place.

"I don't know but its only for one night. Tomorrow we'll head back home." He walks over to the bed and sets his bag down. Since we ran away from home on short notice, we both forgot to pack pajamas so we had to sleep in our NYC shirts and jeans.

Michaels flops down on the flowery comforter and pats the spot next to him. "Michael, I don't know if we can both fit on this bed." I say a little skeptical.

"Well, then I guess we're going to have cuddle all night. I don't know about you, but I am perfectly fine with that idea." Once again, I can't help but smile at his words. So I walk over there and lay down right next to him. He pulls me as close as he can towards himself. He wraps his arms around me and holds me tight. I never wanted him to let me go. Even in this scary, creepy, nasty hotel, I felt as if nothing could ever hurt me because I was in Michael's arms. And that was my favorite place.

So we fell asleep like that and we slept right through the night until morning. And with the morning, came trouble.