4. Orchestra

"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."— Oscar Wilde

It was around 10 pm when I finished up my vocational preparations, Olivia had come down to the hall, throwing tantrums for not getting any sleep.

"How about we watch Mickey Mouse?" I asked ruffling her curly hair.

"I'm a big gal now, mama. I don' watch all thay,"

"Of course, you are," for an unknown reason my sarcastic remark seemed to offend her in some way.

It was when we sat on the sofa to watch a movie, the bell rang.

"You wait here, alright? I'll get the door,"

While I wondered about the potential dangers associated with opening doors at night, the bell rang again.

Taking my own sweet time I opened the door, only to find myself gaping at the tall man in front of me.

"Close your mouth, Im getting the wrong idea," his silky voice spoke.

"What are you doing here?" an acrimonious tone welcomed Mr. Morreti at the door step.

"Is this how you exchange endearments, I'm flattered." He kissed my cheek without any warning.

Italian men and their characteristic felicitations.

"Mama, whose it?" Olivia asked, genuinely concerned.

Talk about bad timing.

A sudden panic grabbed me, for a moment I underwent momentary paralysis the minute he proceeded towards Olivia. Near the main door was a wooden shoe-rack; a flat screwdriver was only what came into my sight.

"What is your name, principessa?" he kneeled and gently tucked few strands of hair behind her ear.

"Olivia, wha's yours?," she eyed the unknown man doubtingly.

Both of them looked at my direction with a raised brow, expecting for an answer.

Without a fleeting second, I hid the screwdriver behind my back and grinned. A disposition such as that definitely roused suspicion.

I gave Olivia a stern glance, signalling her to go to the bedroom.

She did without question.

"I wasn't informed you had a daughter," Mr. Morreti sounded genuinely surprised.

"I wasn't informed you were prying to become more than just a business accomplice," I posed a question in response, meanwhile managing a direct eye contact with my feet still on the ground.

"Where's your husband?" he questioned with concerned eyes.

"Don't have one,"

"Well, that's a relief."

His right hand tugged my arm while the other grabbed my wrist painfully, consequently making me drop the object that I tightly held behind me.

"Your intentions aren't to kill me, then why," in his beautiful face gathered a relatively disturbing look.

"Ask me no questions and I'll tell no lie, Dante ," I torturously slid a finger across his tanned sinewy neck as I spoke in a sultry tone.