A Broken Darkling

Start from the beginning

Luckily, when the Darkling pressed Genya for information, he stopped when she told him of the army's location. He thought that my plan ended with Mal's death. He was so very wrong...

"Yes, I am certain. Get me out as well as you and Nikolai."

"You are our main concern, Alina. You need not worry about us."

I hold her hands in mine and whisper, "I am not losing anyone else to this war. Mal will be the last one that I mourn."

        Genya nods in agreement. "No mourners."

        "Once I free Nikolai and get us out, we meet Zoya and we travel east to the True Sea. It is the only place that the Darkling can not chase after us with his nichevo'ya."

        "And then what?" she asks with a raised eyebrow.

        "Then, I fix what was started four hundred years ago."

***

        That night, the Darkling came to bed early. He usually comes in during the early morning hours, but not tonight. This will make escaping harder, but not impossible. "Improbable," I hear Nikolai's voice say in my head.

        Aleksander changes and slips into bed beside me. It is then that he notices Amelia asleep in my arms.

        "I thought I told you that she could stay for one night only."

        "She is afraid of being alone. I would have thought you of all people would understand that," I whisper.

        Amelia rolls over and attaches to Aleksander, wrapping her arms and legs around him. The Darkling stiffens and mutters, "well it would be fine if she stayed on your side of the bed, but she seems to like pestering me in her sleep."

        "Oh, you two look adorable. Besides, my arm was falling asleep." I roll over and smile as I feel his glare aimed at my back. My grin turns sour and guilt crashes over me. Am I making the right choice by leaving Ravka? I am their Queen with the responsibility to protect them. The Darkling will only grow more ruthless when he discovers what I have done. I will also be leaving Amelia. I would not dare take her with me. It would be too dangerous.

        No. I need to do this. I cannot let fear hold me back from what I have to do...

        Halfway through the night, Aleksander has finally fallen asleep. It's time. There is no going back now.

        I use frustratingly small movements to get out of the covers without waking him up. Once I am standing near the bed, I push the light over my body and disappear into the shadows of night.

I find Genya in her room with the other palace servants. She is laying on her mattress, eyes wide open, waiting for me. I carefully touch her wrist. She flinches, but realizes shortly after that it is me. My fingers encircle her wrist and push the light over her arm. She gives a small gasp, but covers her mouth to mute the sound. I bend the light over her completely and lead her out of the room, making sure not to let go of her arm.

We run to the hallway that holds the heavy dungeon door. My nerves build as we treck down the spiral stairs.

In the dark, Genya whispers, "are the rumors true about Nikolai? Has he really been turned... into a monster?"

I sigh. "Yes. The Darkling filled his lungs with Merzost. Be careful once we see him. That is not the same Nikolai that you know."

"Sure he is," Genya says. "He just has a slight appetite for human flesh now."