"How are you doing with the tournament's tasks?", she questioned out of politeness.

"It's tricky but so far so good", Cedric replied with a soft smile. "Can I ask you something?"

"Ask away", she nodded.

"You are not coming to the Great Hall anymore. Is everything alright?"

Oh, if only you knew, she thought to herself but forced a stif smile. "Everything's fine."

"I noticed that professor Snape is extra grumpy the last days", he pointed out and sipped his hot tea. "It all started after the Yule Ball."

"Listen, Cedric...", she took a long breath and placed her cup on the coffee table. Her gaze focused on him. "I read your letter. I want you to know that I understand how you feel..."

What a lie.

"But...", she continued with a heavy sigh. "I can't..."

His smile instantly vanished from his young face. "Oh...", he breathed, slowly placing his cup next to hers on the table. "You are not interested..."

"Darling, listen to me", she moved her hand placing it on top of his hand. The boy looked up at her expectingly. "You are a gorgeous young boy and the girls adore you. Trust me, if I was your age, I would definitely enjoy your courting but I'm not. I'm older than you... and I have to speak honestly to you. My heart lies with another..."

"It's professor Snape, right?", his gaze settled on her.

She nodded slowly, feeling extremely bad. "I'm sorry...", she mumbled and withdrew her hand from his.

"You had a fight about me?"

She averted her gaze, sighing heavily. "Yes, we had a fight but it was not about you", she lied. She didn't want to burden the boy with extra weight.

"I can see how you two look at each other", he offered a sad smile. "It's the first time professor Snape cares about another."

"That's not true", she looked at him. "You don't know him and I understand you. He seems very cold and distant but trust me, he's not."

"You know better, Mrs. Gold", the boy nodded slowly.

"Do I?", she chuckled unamused. "Anyway, I must say that Cho Chang is very interested in you. Don't you like her?"

"Of course I do", he smiled shyly. "Who wouldn't like her? But I think I am in love with you."

Regina felt like someone had slapped her. Those words were not supposed to be spoken by Cedric. She yearned to hear them coming out of Severus' lips but fate had not been kind with her.

"You think", she snickered. "You are not sure", she kindly smiled at him.

"I don't know, it's confusing", he frowned troubled. "I like Cho. I like spending time with her. She's very sweet. But I think about you too."

"You want to know my opinion?", Regina gave a lopsided grin. "It's natural for boys your age to fantasize women my age, especially now that I am your professor."

Cedric chuckled, his cheeks flared up immediately.

"Don't feel embarrassed, Cedric, I told you it's natural", she chuckled as well. "But you should focus on Cho. Your love life will be much more healthier with a girl like her."

"I suppose you're right", he nodded, still blushing but his smile was more genuine now. "I'm sorry if I caused any trouble."

"Don't even think about it", Regina grinned, feeling better now that the boy realized the truth. "Now go back to your dorm and get ready for tonight's festivities."