Preparations

America's POV

April 17, 1861

"Hello, Father." I heard Virginia ask. I sighed, preparing myself for a familiar but no less devastating conversation.

"What do you want?" I snapped, "Because if it's to tell me you are trying to secede, save the niceties, and just go."

"No, no...well, my people have just voted to leave today, but–" I cut her off, not wanting to listen to any more excuses or insults.

"Save it, State of Virginia. Or is it the Country of Virginia now? Oh, I know. The Confederate State of Virginia. Is that what you are now?" I snapped out bitterly, the emptiness in my chest growing. However, I had grown numb to it and was starting to view it with a general sense of apathy.

It was less of a noticeable thing and just something that was there.

"Father, just shut up and listen! I'm worried about you, okay? I know my people voted to secede, but you aren't yourself, and it's scary." Virginia said. I scoffed. What did she know?

"Do you really think you will get to have a say in my life after you decide to follow South Carolina and the rest of them now? You decided to leave. You decided to go against your constitution, against my constitution, and against the rest of us for what? Because we'll make a decision about slavery in someone else's land? Because we elected a president–democratically and legally, mind you–that you don't like? You and all the others are overreacting and making a big deal because you didn't get your way." I said, stepping closer. Virginia crossed her arms and scoffed.

"You really haven't noticed it, Father? You used to be able to see both sides and now you jump to branding us as enemies and refuse to listen?" She asked. I laughed, albeit very bitterly.

"Oh, I've noticed Ginny, and both you and I know why. Do you want me to see your side, to understand your opinion? Then give me back the ability to. So long as you and the South try to be your own little thing with that bastard Confederate countryhuman, I can't see your side, as all sympathy is smothered by everyone else's anger at you." I said, stepping forward.

'Yeah, if they want you to understand them, then they need to, you know, not take away their ability to influence their opinion.'

'They take away your ability to feel the opinions of their people and then get offended when you don't feel the opinions of their people. They brought this on themselves.'

'And then Virginia tells you that you're acting weird like she isn't part of the problem.'

"Get out of my house, Virginia."

"Father, I–"

"You want to leave? Then leave. Get out of my house, go run off to be with that bastard Confederate. When you return to your senses, your room will be open, but as long as you keep acting like I'm the one at fault when you choose to start this fight, you will not be welcomed in my home."

Virginia gave me one long, sad look before sighing.

"Fine then, Father. Have it your way. But just...remember what Britain was like back during the war." She said.

"Don't lecture me, child," I answered. Virginia smirked this time, eyes holding some degree of amusement in them before she vanished.

District of Columbia's POV

April 19, 1861

"I don't know which one of the Original Thirteen decided to reuse our naval plans from the Revoluntary War, but obviously, one of them did." I heard Pennsylvania say from behind me. I laughed slightly, turning to face my older sister.